Local Real Estate Networking

User Stats

Votes

New to RE investment. Looking to connect with people in San Diego

Posted Oct 14 2020, 19:54

Hi!

I'm new to the real estate investment world. Been reading and watching a lot. Interested in getting into multi family investment or house hacking in San Diego or surrounding areas. I'd love to connect with other like-minded people in the area and would love to hear your opinion about investing in San Diego.

Looking forward to connecting!

User Stats

Votes
Twana Rasoul
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 14 2020, 21:48

Hi @Oscar Moncada and Welcome! I'm a local investor myself and I also house hack a multifamily property.  Feel free to shoot me a message to connect

• Real Estate Agent California (#02026495)

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Holcomb
  • Realtor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Encinitas, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 05:56

Hi Oscar Moncada, Welcome! This is a great place to meet like minded investors, grow your network and learn about REI. Where in San Diego are you looking to buy?

Have a great day!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2020, 08:23

@Twana Rasoul

Thanks! I look forward to connecting

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2020, 08:26

@Nicole Holcomb

Hi Nicole! Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure yet. Part of me wants to stay close to downtown or East of downtown but I’m open to something farther if it makes sense. I’m still in the very early learning stages so I’m sure it will be a while.

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Chen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 10:18

Hi @Oscar Moncada!

Downtown and East Village are excellent areas to look for a condo. Nearby areas such as Grant Hill, Golden Hill, Barrio Logan and Logan Heights are quickly gentrifying and there are many single family homes and multifamily properties that are excellent for investment and househacking. East Village is undergoing a multi-million dollar development and it's a great time to get in early and buy in the surrounding areas. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2020, 10:33

@Sherry Chen thanks for sharing that article! Looks like the acquisition of the SDG&E site and S&F lot are some obstacles to overcome for that project. I’m interested to see the development of that plan. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2020, 10:38

@Sherry Chen

Hi Sherry!

Thanks for the info. Yes, I think downtown is a good area. I’m just not sure if there are many MF options

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Chen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 10:46

@Long G. Tran Absolutely! There's a lot happening in downtown, especially on the other side of downtown with the billion dollar Manchester Pacific Gateway development by the water. We have some exciting changes happening in San Diego!

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Chen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 10:49

@Oscar Moncada you're right. The surrounding areas I mentioned have multifamily properties and single family homes that are great candidates for ADUs (accessory dwelling units). You can potentially turn a single family into essentially a duplex by adding a second rentable unit. San Diego is one of the most ADU-friendly cities in the state of CA, and they've waived many requirements and fees to help make it easier for homeowners to build.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Jiang
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 11:24

Hi Oscar!

I like Linda Vista, Bark Park & Bay Ho.  Linda Vista in particular has some MF/duplexes/4plexes and seems like it's been on a steady upward trend for the last 10 years.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2020, 12:36

@Frank Jiang thanks for the reply. Do you think Linda Vista will benefit from the construction where Qualcomm stadium was?

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Chen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 13:05

@Frank Jiang 1000% agree. 

The Linda Vista/Bay Ho area is one of the hottest markets right now in San Diego. I'm working with several investors to buy multifamily properties in this area with value-add potential. It's a centralized location near major freeways, the University of San Diego campus and just a few minutes drive to the beach. Highly desirable for renters. 

User Stats

Votes
Frank Jiang
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 15 2020, 13:16
Originally posted by @Oscar Moncada:

@Frank Jiang thanks for the reply. Do you think Linda Vista will benefit from the construction where Qualcomm stadium was?

I mean maybe, it's technically connected via Friars, which is a major artery street, but I don't know if it's close enough to have much direct impact.  I really don't know enough about it tbh.  I think the new Civita Park addition is a really nice addition to the Mission Valley area and that's much closer.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2020, 16:26

Are there any REI groups/meetups in San Diego you would recommend? I found a couple of meetups but there doesn't seem to be any activity. I even attended one of the events but I was the only one there :D

User Stats

Votes
David Frandsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 16 2020, 23:24

@Oscar Moncada @Maxwell Ventura is putting on a meetup with a talk on ADU's in early november. If that is something that interests you should check it out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 16 2020, 23:38

@David Frandsen Thanks! I’m more interested in multi family but I’m open to lean everything I can about RE so please share the details.

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Chen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 17 2020, 09:05

@Oscar Moncada My team Kappel Realty Group puts on webinars nearly every week about real estate investing in San Diego. We have a monthly series that covers 2-4 multifamily investments as well. Feel free to sign up here: https://www.meetup.com/San-Die...

Looking forward to seeing you there!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 17 2020, 10:00

@Sherry Chen Thanks! I’ll definitely check it out

User Stats

Votes
Kari Morales
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 17 2020, 14:45

@Sherry Chen, I just joined the group and would like to start attending the zoom meetings also.  I was wondering if the past zoom meetings were recorded?  I would have liked to have seen the one last week on multi family homes. Are past meetings available to view?  

User Stats

Votes
Krystle Moore
  • Lender
  • San Diego, USA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Diego, USA
Replied Oct 30 2020, 12:37

Hi! I know this thread hasn't been active for a few weeks but if you're still looking to make connections, I am a local multifamily investor in San Diego. I do multifamily financing and my husband does residential. We also have a podcast, ValueAdd with K&K, and talk about investing in apartments and creating generational wealth. We host webinars on many topics real estate investors deal with. This week we just did a webinar on Cost Segregation. We have another webinar coming up on 11/12 with Suzanne Baker, General Council for IPX Exchange to talk about 1031 exchanges. Our main goal is to educate, inspire and help people grow a multifamily portfolio.

I'm always happy to answer questions or refer you to professionals we work with to help you on your journey. :)

User Stats

Votes
Mark Frattini
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 31 2020, 12:53

Hey @Oscar Moncada

Nice to meet you on BP. San Diego can be great place to invest. Since you are just getting started look at as many properties as you can. Run the numbers on as many deals as you can. This will help you quickly spot a good deal when one comes along. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 22 2022, 13:13

Hi people!

I know this post hasn't been active for a long time. But I see myself in the same shoes as @Oscar Moncada. I am just starting on REI. How is it going for you so far @Oscar Moncada? Any meet ups soon in San Diego?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Heuschele#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Dan Heuschele#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Mar 22 2022, 13:34
Quote from @Marco Nunes:

Hi people!

I know this post hasn't been active for a long time. But I see myself in the same shoes as @Oscar Moncada. I am just starting on REI. How is it going for you so far @Oscar Moncada? Any meet ups soon in San Diego?

RE related meetups happen almost daily in San Diego.  There are a few that are posted on BP, but the majority can be found on Meetup.com. 

My personal experience is the more social the name (meet and greet, any name with brew in the name, etc.) the more inexperienced the attendees.  These types of meetups typically have no agenda other than socializing.  There is nothing wrong with that except the socializing will be mostly with inexperienced RE investors.  

NSDREI, Private lending masters, and similar named meetups will have a better mix of experienced RE investors.  

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Emily Shen
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 26 2022, 04:16

@Dan Heuschele such a detailed and helpful insight on honing in on the most effective types of meet-ups. just getting started on my journey and excited to learn more. thank you for sharing!