Building a Marketing Campaign

6 Replies

I am looking to build a new Marketing Campaign and am going in circles. I have done here and there marketing with here and there results I want to step it up! I would like to use several outlets including Direct Mail and I was wondering if what I could do with a monthly budget of $400 to start? letters? postcards? what about newspaper ads? I want to find wholesale deals to build some capital but I would like to really get into sub2 deals as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated also what filters on listsource will get me the most motivated sellers? Thanks, Sam

Hi @Sam T. My marketing budget per month is about the same as yours. $400 /mo will get you roughly 700 letters. Although stamps keep going up so that number keeps going down.

Yellow Letters are usually the best way to go to start getting phone calls. You can try postcards to see how they fair. Some like them some don't. I've never had success.

$400 is not a lot per month for marketing, many investors will be spending thousands of dollars per month on direct mail. Because your budget isn't that high, you could supplement with driving for dollars (driving around looking for beatup houses), making offers on REO's off the MLS and hanging bandit signs.

I wouldn't recommend News Paper ads at this point. They are too expensive and will eat up most of your monthly budget.

Also look into creating a webpage to pull in leads. This is more of a long term item though (think 1 to 2 years). The more established your website is the higher it'll show up on google search results. Even if you don't do any other SEO in the beginning (which you'll eventually have to do, or hire out to get done if you want your site to be a good source of leads). So starting one up early on can be beneficial.

Best of luck!

Thanks Scott I appreciate the response. I know $400 won't go very far to start but I have not had any real planned marketing efforts this far and I know that's why I'm doing the kind of deals I want. I would like to do at least 1 a month while working a full time job. What's the best source for building/hosting a website? Should I make it a squeeze page?

You can use Weebly or Wix to create a free website. You can use either to create a squeeze page too that will email your leads to you. Alternatively, you can set up a simple Word Press blog site using BlueHost or HostGator for ~$10 a month. Word Press blogs allow you to add content quickly and easily which will improve your website rankings. You might want to take a look at this blog by @Seth Williams on creating websites on the cheap.

http://retipster.com/realestatewebsite/

Todd Plambeck | [email protected] | TX Agent # 0681374

I would suggest that you use part of your budget to buy leads instead of buying lists of suspects. My definition of a lead is "a person that has expressed an interest in a specific product or service and has requested to be contacted".

Some companies specialize in selling leads specifically designed for real estate investors. A search of Google under the search term "foreclosure leads" will display a list of these companies.

Be sure you separate the leads companies from the list companies or companies that compile data from public records. Public record data is not a lead, it is a suspect - anyone can get it for free on Zillow.

Lead companies employ sophisticated marketing tactics that produce the exact lead that lead buyers want. They specialize in marketing - that is the value they bring.

The yellow letters will be great for wholesale deals if you target a list of high equity owners. Whereas a lot of leads through the web will be great for Sub2 deals where as it's hard to target owners with equity, therefore, some of those deals will be better suited for sub2. @Scott Costello is correct. Get your web presence started early and it will pay dividends a few years from now.

Medium web logoBen G., Ben Buys Indy Houses | 317.455.6768 | http://www.benbuysindyhouses.com | Podcast Guest on Show #91

Originally posted by @Ben G. G.:
The yellow letters will be great for wholesale deals if you target a list of high equity owners. Whereas a lot of leads through the web will be great for Sub2 deals where as it's hard to target owners with equity, therefore, some of those deals will be better suited for sub2. @Scott Costello is correct. Get your web presence started early and it will pay dividends a few years from now.

Thanks guys! the Seth Williams videos rocked! how many websites should I have? I am starting to build a seller site but i was thinking maybe I should have a squeeze page to find cash buyers? and possibly another separate site for the wholesale houses I am selling?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you