What information should be on my direct mailing?

8 Replies

My question is do I put my address on the postcard? I know to be safe I shouldn't, so what should go on there. My number and what else?

Thanks

@Sharon Vornholt is a good resource here when it comes to direct market mailing. She's written several articles on the BP blog on this subject.

Hope that helps, good luck!

@Jordan L. -

Why wouldn't you put an address on the PC? You are a business and businesses have addresses. You don't want to put your home address on there however.

You can get a mailbox at one of the UPS stores that will look like a real address rather than one you get at the post office that is a PO Box.

Be sure to put an address on there because of return mail. Once you are buying a list to mail to, you want to be sure you know which ones are bad addresses. And every now and then, one of the sellers will actually write their response in a letter.

There are several regulars on BP that have direct mail companies. Don't try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to writing copy. Send me a PM and I will give you some suggestions.

Sharon

Wow, great idea I didn't know UPS has that option I will set up one this week.

Jordan - in my opinion, the purchase of mailing a postcard has two objectives:

1) To get someone's attention and motivate them to contact you, probably by calling, but maybe re-direct them to an online landing page or to send a letter or note by mail (occasionally).

2) To capture the names of people who's mailing address has changed. Granted you'll want to update the record in your database. However, this returned card can actually be a bigger opportunity than the prospect that responds. Here's why:

Returned mail, called a "nixie" in the industry, is a clue that there's been a change in the prospects life. At minimum, a move. On the far side, death. Both signal perhaps a greater opportunity. Try to think backwards as to all of the situations that you might be able to exploit monetarily to find real estate super-bargains.

And that is why I value returned mail more than a curious owner's phone call.

@Rick H. @Sharon Vornholt What should I do once the mailers are returned to me? Have a few that I received. I was just making notes and moving forward.

Micheal,

im not sure how it works in your area but in mines what I do is cross referrance the name on records in the Public records search. Usually civl cases, tax deed sales and sometimes criminal cases and this will show if there are any foreclosure, judgements, etc... and if it is under the probate search the record numbers and see who it is bring forwarded to.

Jordan,

I strongly believe in including at least 2 business cards and seperate page with FAQ(frequantly ask questions) that will help with any objections or hesitations they may have for calling you.

I look on the tax assessor's site.

Sometimes the person listed as the executor doesn't live in the area and they may have a local person be in charge of the property; actually fielding the calls and showing the house.Many times the address of that person will be listed as the contact person on the tax assessor's site.

As a last resort, I will send a letter to the property. Many times the mail has been forwarded.

Sharon

Just got my UPS address this past Friday, no problem, very official looking...Using it now for all my future mail outs...

GL

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here