Newspaper Marketing?

5 Replies

I know that newspapers are a dying medium, but they do cater to a much older demographic, a demographic that has old homes that need repairs. Has anyone had success advertising "we buy houses" or a similar message in newspapers? Thanks for the help!

This is actually something that I've wondered about myself for the same reason. My first guess is going to be that it's not quite worth it because it's more of a "shotgun style" approach compared to direct mail which is targeted directly at potentially motivated sellers.

Looking forward to what others have to say on this.

As with any advertising medium the key is understanding cost versus market reach and demographics. While I tend to favor more targeted online media where I can still down to both demographic and predictive metrics ("most likely to buy in near future") Newspapers are highly regional so one size definitely does not fit all. I had a free local paper in a past city that cost < $50 to run an ad for over a month. Blew away any other form of media (online or otherwise) in reaching the local community looking for apartments. And all those we buy houses signs I would just tear down anyway.

My dad put an ad in the paper back in the late 80's that pretty much read "Save the Commission". The first year he bought an absolute steal with it and now says that one deal has paid for that ad to run for the rest of time.

I think your location and local newspaper reading habits have alot to do with it.

If I were in a hyper local area like Witchita KS, and the news reporters wrote good local stories, well maybe a free report to a website or to an answering service might be in order, especially if they do nice write ups on local business (tie in PR with classifieds.)

People want to do business with people they like and trust. Getting in the paper becomes news and kinda trustworthy just by being in the paper.

If you have a newspaper article thats favorable, you can say "as seen in the Witchita Observer" or whatever.

I don't do much with newspaper myself, but I know others that use it consistently. In the newspaper here in the Fort Worth (TX) area, I see this ad for "KATHY BUYS HOUSES" in the classifieds in EVERY ISSUE for YEARS! She has been CONSISTENT in her appearance there so I'm guessing it works for her...

We have a deal where we have ads in all the print Yellow Pages throughout the U.S. It is a similar medium (to newspapers) and still works, especially to reach older owners.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.