Direct Mail - How to tell you've picked the right list

2 Replies

When marketing to sellers through direct mail, I've found that sellers usually respond differently based on the amount of marketing they have received.

Some lists are heavily marketed to because they are popular on training courses or are the recommended lists for investors from the list providers.

Although we still pull deals out of the heavily marketed lists, we love to find lists that people are not currently marketing to. This will be very different in each market, but the way to know you've picked a lightly marketed-to list that others are not focusing on, lies in this response a seller:

"How'd you get my info?"

Though this may be a curious person not looking to sell, this information is very valuable.

It says that:

• The seller (more importantly the list) is not used to getting marketed this way
  • The entire list may be virtually untouched by direct investor marketing and it may be a gold mine for leads

Some people view that question as a negative because people who respond just want to know if you are spying on them through their camera phone and rarely want to sell. I love it because it tells me that we are about to hit the jackpot.

Whether you are using yellow letters or postcards to find your wholesale or fix and flip deals, look for this question and see it as a HUGE positive.

Lamar Cannon

Austin, TX

Lamar Cannon, LamarBuysHouses.com | http://www.LamarBuysHouses.com | Podcast Guest on Show #31

Good Info. just thought I would comment. I am still in my testing phase seeing what has the best response rate. So I truly agree to listening for that WOW factor! Great Article

Great tip - thanks, Lamar. Very timely for me, as I am in the ramp up phase of my direct mail campaign.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you