Targeting Zip Codes

15 Replies

I like to drive neighborhoods and look for run down properties. I feel this is a very targeted approach with better success ratios especially on specific streets or pockets I want to invest in, but I'd like to branch out and fire bomb entire zip codes. Is there a service someone could recommend? Should I be searching for a local service? Thanks.

Who exactly are you wanting to send letters to? Absentees, or just every person that owns a house in that zipcode?

You could pay for a list online from any of the sites that are mentioned in these forums, like listsource, us leads, etc. You may be able to pay for a list from the county or a title company as well.

There's a zip code that I feel strongly about and I'd like to target the entire area. That said I don't want to waste $. Perhaps this is a bad approach.

@J Koehne

You may want to consider not mailing every door. Here is an example of why not.

I took the zip code in San Antonio which is the zip with the median population.

Zip 78260

That zip has 12012 properties of those properties.

9127 are Single Family Residences.

2182 are SFR with 40% equity or more.

619 are SFR, 40% equity and have been owned for 4 years or longer.

324 are SFR, 40% equity, 4 years + ownership and 2 or 3 bedrooms.

296 are SFR. 40% equity or more, 4+ years ownership, 2 or 3 bedrooms and under the median value for that zip code.

16 are the above criteria and absentee owned removing corporation owned.

270 are owner occupied removing trust and corporate owned.

150 are owner occupied with one of the owners 55 years or older.

61 are owner occupied, 55+ years and have been owned for 15 years or more.

824 are upside down and have no equity.

1401 have less than 10% equity

2861 haave less than 20% equity.

How did you come up with those numbers @Michael Q. ?

Some kind of software you use?

J. Koehne - Michael Q has VA's that actually drive and walk every house in that zip code. Just like the Google Maps car, they run around in Fiat 500's with Mike's mail service ad graphics. Keep an eye out!

Seriously, here's another thing you can do, but it's old school:

Go to your county tax assessor and buy a map of the county map books. This will help you visualize the districts and de-code the geographic areas that fit your mailing. You can get similar postal maps of zip codes, and decipher the mailing areas.

You're probably right, Rick. LOL.

"several sources that I use to build the best list available"

LOL...pretty vague @Michael Q. but I hear ya. Ancient Chinese secret.

Originally posted by @Rick H. :

J. Koehne - Michael Q has VA's that actually drive and walk every house in that zip code. Just like the Google Maps car, they run around in Fiat 500's with Mike's mail service ad graphics. Keep an eye out!

Go to your county tax assessor and buy a map of the county map books. This will help you visualize the districts and de-code the geographic areas that fit your mailing. You can get similar postal maps of zip codes, and decipher the mailing areas.

Rick H., I love old school! I don't quite follow. What would be the benefit of decoding the geographic areas with the mailing? I'm in the planning phases for a mailing, and just starting to do some research. I'm interested in homeowner names in a certain zip code, and maybe how long they've owned the home. Would I have to pay one of the on-line list providers for this info? Or are there any old school ways, or any method that's as close to free as possible?  

Originally posted by @Luke W. :

Who exactly are you wanting to send letters to? Absentees, or just every person that owns a house in that zipcode?

You could pay for a list online from any of the sites that are mentioned in these forums, like listsource, us leads, etc. You may be able to pay for a list from the county or a title company as well.

Luke W., Which method do you prefer? (On-line service such as listsource, lists from counties, lists from title companies). How do they stack up against each other? I'm trying to come up with a list of homeowner names in a specific zip code, and maybe how long they've owned the home, property type would also be helpful. Is it possible to get such a list? How much would something like this cost? I'm in L.A. 

Originally posted by @Lee L. :
Originally posted by @Rick Harmon:

@Rick Harmon, I love old school! I don't quite follow. What would be the benefit of decoding the geographic areas with the mailing? I'm in the planning phases for a mailing, and just starting to do some research. I'm interested in homeowner names in a certain zip code, and maybe how long they've owned the home. Would I have to pay one of the on-line list providers for this info? Or are there any old school ways, or any method that's as close to free as possible?  

If you're worried about paying for data and don't see the benefits of mapping out your list, you're probably not ready to pay for an APN map, either.

Suggest you subscribe to Property Radar and start there until you see benefits to more expensive data and ready for compiled data overlays.

@Rick H.  Thanks for the reference to Property Radar. It looks like some really sophisticate stuff.  I think I'll start their trial this weekend. It's not that I'm not willing to pay for lists, but I'm just trying to do some research at this point. 

I encourage you to follow up with your experiences by posting here on BP after trying the App.

I would say that it may be easier to get an organized list fit to your needs by purchasing one online, but it's probably just my personal preference. I think either way could work well for you.

I am constantly asked this same question by my clients and it again comes down to the shotgun approach or the rifle approach.  My belief is that you place yourself where the client is looking for you and not you looking for them. 

Try branding yourself both online and offline.  In the long run, you will have all the leads that you can handle and be the "one" that local buyers and sellers think of first.

Buying lists and leads are too expensive.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you