Santa Barbara County Evictions

12 Replies

Has anyone had any luck getting ahold of an eviction list for Santa Barbara county? I cannot locate it online and have been getting the run around from the county clerk. 

@Thad Miller  That list will show me what property owners are constantly evicting tenants, thus they probably have a poor management company or are poor managers themselves... In which case my PM company may be able to help them place a good tenant in the property and thus gaining a new client. 

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability

Public information in the superior court indexes for California unlawful detainers are not available until 60 days after the filing (per state code).  After 60 days from filing, the majority of cases will have been resolved.  Either the landlord got a judgment, or the tenant prevailed.  If the tenant prevails, the case filing never becomes public info. 

So before you start searching for the list or try to buy one, realize what it is.  It's not a bunch of landlords hoping you'll rescue them from a non-paying tenant.  There may be a few tired landlords, but as I mentioned, most of the cases will have been settled by the time the information is public.  And you can't info for the cases where the tenant wins against the landlord.

Originally posted by @Thad Miller :

@Tony Cavalli  I will ask my family, they own multiple title search companies (in different states), but they should know the general process... 

Evictions are not a title related issue or a recorded doc.  It's all superior court filings, which aren't public info in CA for the first 60 days after filing the unlawful detainer.

Originally posted by Kristine Marie Poe:

So before you start searching for the list or try to buy one, realize what it is.  It's not a bunch of landlords hoping you'll rescue them from a non-paying tenant.  

I agree with this statement as I was not expecting every landlord to come running at me with open arms. With that being said I do believe I can get a response rate similar if not a little lower than a wholesaling campaign to "tired" owners. At the end of the day one deal is one deal more than I had before the mailing and full management is monthly income for my business. I'll take it and smile.

I was not aware that if the tenants win the case it does not become public knowledge... Is there a law in place for this? Seems interesting and something I will need to follow up on. Do you have anymore info on this? Thanks for mentioning it ! 

Originally posted by @Joe Gore:

@K. Marie Poe,

Do you have a case law where the filing never becomes public info?

Joe Gore

The court case files remain public information, just not the filing info.  California Civil Code of Procedure 1161.2 outlines what I said above.  60 days after the unlawful detainer filing, the information becomes public information in the court index.  If the tenant prevails, the filing does not ever become part of the court index, so it is not searchable by the public by name.  

When a tenant prevails you cannot search the index and find out that they sued and won against a landlord. However, if you have the names and date of the case, you can go to the court and read the actual case file.  Which I have done.  This is also so the media can access case files for "noteworthy" cases.

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you