post - wholesaling marketing --> letting the neighbors know

5 Replies

I'm curious if any wholesalers out there do "post closing" marketing -- letting neighbors know that THAT house in their neighborhood will be undergoing change . . thus improving the community, improving property values, etc., etc.  I'm thinking a postcard that blasts this, plus contact info, might be a good way to get referrals. 

Has anyone tried this?  Any success stories?  Have any tips of what to put on a postcard?  I'd like to have sort of a stock card that I can fill in the sold property address and the mailing information by hand. 

Thanks in advance,

Christina

Its a proven fact that 2 homes within a 200 home search around a just sold will sell within the next 6 months. 

Most people will just mail an I buy houses card or if agent I just SOLD this house card. 

I use to use a Real Estate Agent type sign that had I BUY HOUSES and my number on it so everyone driving in the neighborhood could remember me.

As for your addresses if using a title /escrow company for closings they will actually give you the address of the 200 houses around the house on labels for free.

When you wholesale a deal, you don't really have control of what happens after that.  I'm not sure I want to promise urban renewal and then find out the buyers did a terrible rehab followed by putting renters into a street of mostly owners.  Happened in our area lately and no one is happy.  So, be careful about that.  My 2 cents....

I'm with Dev on this.  Even if you are buying and rehabbing, you may or may not be contributing to increased property values.  With all the prejudices out there (towards investors, towards non owner occupants, towards change, towards whatever) I'd stay away from any suggestion that your business is improving someone else's community.

But using a property sale as an opportunity to let people know who you are makes sense to me.  

I"ll keep it neutral while still getting the message out that I buy houses.  Thanks for the advice - I appreciate it!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.