Social Media

4 Replies

if you were going to hire a social media manager what pay scale would be appropriate and what would the job duties be?  

Well, from my experience, a social media manager should:

1.) Engage on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, G+. And not just post but create content, ask questions, build relationships. Polls are helpful. 

2.) Continually be learning new stuff. Like, at least one hour a day, 5 days a week, of listening to social media podcasts.  a Social media person has to continually innovate and keep up with changing trends. 

3.) Reach out to influential bloggers and others in the industry and build relationships. 

4.) Perhaps write blog posts.

Obviously, the price is going to depend on how much you want done. I mean, Pepsi probably has 20 social media managers where BP has two very part timers (me and @Jaren Barnes  , both doing it as a minor part of our other tasks.)  So how much... I dunno. If I had to throw out a per-hour wage, $18 an hour is what I would guess, based on the fact that it's a good job for an early 20-something and they can work from home. 

Thoughts? 

so if I offered 50k salary and required full time at my location that's not too limiting 

Brandon has really great suggestions. I like the $18 range but it will depend on what they bring to the table as far as content creation. Are the writing a ton of blog posts and video editing? That will cost you more. So I'm going to add two more layers.

1) pick someone with some research skills

Know how to research, hunt, and engage your potential audience. Brandon is right. Most social media managers do a ton of content creation. Not just sharing and liking other posts. Remember Facebook has changed it's algorithms. Engage or be irrelevant. All social media platforms are headed that way. If people don't engage with you, you disappear off the feed. I've definitely struggled with that as social media has matured.

2. strategically pick your conversion

You should decide up front what a conversion is for your business. Far too many people focus on LIKES and shares. It's so easy to blow a ton of time and money running general awareness campaigns when the goal was to buy a house. Picking the proper success metrics up front will be helpful to you and whomever is helping you out get on the same page.

Brandon has really great suggestions. I like the $18 range but it will depend on what they bring to the table as far as content creation. Are they writing a ton of blog posts and video editing? That will cost you more. So I'm going to add two more layers.

1) pick someone with some research skills

Know how to research, hunt, and engage your potential audience. Brandon is right. Most social media managers do a ton of content creation. Not just sharing and liking other posts. Remember Facebook has changed its algorithms. Engage or be irrelevant. All social media platforms are headed that way. If people don't engage with you, you disappear off the feed. I've definitely struggled with that as social media has matured.

2. strategically pick your conversion

You should decide up front what a conversion is for your business. Far too many people focus on LIKES and shares. It's so easy to blow a ton of time and money running general awareness campaigns when the goal was to buy a house. Picking the proper success metrics up front will be helpful to you and whomever is helping you out get on the same page.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here