Old Probate Cases

4 Replies

Hey Everyone, 

I found some old probate cases (2001) that are still open. My question is, should I send them any letters. Or are they still in probate because they have lots of liens on the property or lots of back taxes (actually if that is the case maybe I should mail to them.) Anybody have any experience or thoughts. 

Thanks,

David

Mail anyone you wish to. After all, they are public records.

Personally, I think stale probates deserve more than a letter. This is where you'll either do your homework and become a rich hero or cut corners and be another person who posts on BP that their mailing aren't working. 

Find out what you believe to be reason the case is (presumably) stuck. Is it because:

1) PR failed to file Petition for Order for Discharge or Dismissal?

2) An ongoing estate administration (Marylyn Monroe's estate, for example, is still open in order to administer intellectual property rights. Elvis, too).

3) Litigation?

4) Court oversight?

5) deceased or incapacitated PR?

These are just a few of the scenarios I've seen in my two+ decades if probate investing.

Some great profits can be made. Important: you need to to find the catalyst that causes people to take action.

It would be nice to know what you are potentially stepping into before you find yourself swimming in the stuff.  

@Rick H. Thanks for the help. So would you suggest calling them, or are you just saying research them a little more and if they seem like they might be a good lead write a  customized letter?

Call, write, door knock or send a messenger, I just encourage you to research the case facts and circumstances and tailor your message accordingly.

That makes sense. Thanks, I will put you knowledge to good use.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you