Craigslist Marketing

8 Replies

This topic may have been beaten to death but I've heard differing opinions on it. How successful has Craigslist marketing been for you all? I will occasionally post an ad to join my buyer's list or that I buy houses and may get 1 or 2 hits off it. I've tried a couple times to reach out to FSBOs by directly emailing them through Craigslist, telling them I'm an investor and interested in their house. When they reply, I make a cash offer and a terms offer for them, but so far I've only succeeded in ticking homeowners off with "lowball" offers. I use other marketing methods, but craigslist just seems like such a goldmine of free leads that I'd really like to get a good system down. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Get 5 email accounts. Post a minimum of once a day for buyers and sellers. Same time every day. Do you have a site that can capture name, email, phone #? Does this site explain what you do? If not do it, it's cheap and then you'll have a landing page. CL is great but they change their policies often and it's time consuming. So get a VA to do your marketing.

Good luck 

Yes Nathan, I have 5 different squeeze pages I direct people to depending on their situation. So you're saying I should only do that and not write direct offers to individual homeowners?

Most sellers will get tick of someone making a low-ball offer. Make a fair offer and closed the deal.

Joe Gore

What's "fair" when I'm a wholesaler looking to supply my buyers with discounted properties?

The problem with Craigslist is that you have a lot of competition, which makes it very hard to get good deals. I´d look for properties that are not listed yet, that will reduce the competition. A few weeks ago I made a video on how to find such properties by working with attorneys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_4A2LvxLY

As to Craigslist: When someone lists his home, I would immediately make an offer. At the beginning, he may not have that many offers so the competition isn´t that huge at this stage. Offer more than the competition at this stage would probably offer, but - and this is the important part - create some scarcity by saying that the offer is only valid several hours, or one day – try different time frames to see what works best. That way you´ll put some pressure on the seller to accept your offer - otherwise he is running the risk that it expires and he has to sell at a lower price.

However, this strategy might help sometimes but it won’t do miracles. That´s why, as I said, I would look for other ways to get profitable deals.

Originally posted by @Nathan Paisley :

Get 5 email accounts. Post a minimum of once a day for buyers and sellers. Same time every day. Do you have a site that can capture name, email, phone #? Does this site explain what you do? If not do it, it's cheap and then you'll have a landing page. CL is great but they change their policies often and it's time consuming. So get a VA to do your marketing.

Good luck 

Once a day per email created?

I recently did my first ad on craigslist, but for raising capital, seeking for cash buyers.  So far so good.  1st day: 1 interested lead!  I find properties through different marketing methods, my Goal is to find more investors to help me close deals since we never have enough investors.  It seems to work well for that.  Investors are always on the look out for deals on this site, maybe even more than sellers.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you