Hello everyone, recently I went driving for dollars and found some good prospects. Now that I am getting information on the properties I have found that vacant properties list the owners mailing address as the vacant property. This doesn't seem correct, possible, however not probable.
Someone on BP told me about skip tracing to find owners. How can I start skip tracing? Teach me.
1. Try this: go to this site to check and see if you can find the owner this way
2. Contact a local title company to see if they can pull title to see where the owners are located (absentee owners)
Skip Tracing is trying to find a persons whereabouts. There are companies that you pay to have them find someone for you. many times they will provide you information that is not available to the general public.
Here is a link here on Bigger Pockets. You can find several skip tracing companies here
I'm guessing the address you pulled on the vacant property is from the tax accessors records. This is simply where the tax bill is sent. Do you know how long the property has been vacant? If it is only recently vacated you can try sending a letter to that address, it may still have mail forwarding in effect.
Many companies can help with skip tracing. If you're wanting to do the research yourself, try doing searches on google, facebook, etc. Might get lucky.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing