How to find different lists for direct mail?

9 Replies

Hello BP friends,

My partner and I would like to start with our first direct mail campaign and I have two questions:

1. Where is the best place to find lists?
Absentee Owners, Abandoned Properties, Probate, Tax Delinquent, Expired Listings, etc

I'm in New York City and I already asked a few lawyers and realtors for leads but they didn't know.
We are going to court this week to find out more information, I'm just not sure if we can find all lists around one place/department or there are different offices for each category.

2. Is it wise to send our yellow letters or postcards (we are still debating what to start with) to all lists or should we target one or two?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated! 

thanks

I have not used this yet, but Listsource is an option I plan on leveraging for marketing purposes in the future.

www.listsource.com

We use Listsource a lot but its best fit for foreclosure, absentee, and mortgage specific data. There's lot of places you can Google to find services that can sell you probates, tax liens etc but I'm finding that doing the legwork yourself can identify the best leads. However "legwork" costs time which I can never get back so I'm currently trying to devise a plan to have someone like a VA do the direct searches through the public record.

Does anyone else use PropertyRadar.com?  I use it and have never used Listsource.  What's good about Prop radar is you can just look up any properties you want for owner info (which I think is the same as Listsource) BUT you pay a monthly fee instead of per person.

@Paul Z.  thanks! At this point I don't mind doing the legwork myself so I can learn and save some money. What do you recommend I should start with? I'm especially interested in probate, absentee owners and tax liens.

@Will F.  I've heard of PropertyRadar.com but haven't looked into it. thanks

@Will F.  I haven't heard of Property Radar but will be checking it out ASAP now. 

@Roy Assaf  it's hard to say what would be best to start with. All have great potential. Honestly whatever you feel can get you the greatest amount of data/return for your money. The problem with any kind of marketing channel is that there's no real way to figure out what is best. You simply have to jump in on a best guess and be ready to measure results. Then make changes from there. 

@Paul Z.  I will start with one or two lists and along the way figure out what works and what doesn't. Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.