Put a name or leave blank on the return address of direct mail?

16 Replies

Hello B P community,

Since the recipient does NOT know who I am, I've heard I should just put the "return  address" ONLY with no name.

I'm considering that or... If I do put a name, I will most likely put... Mr. & Mrs Smith followed by the return address.

Has anyone tested this, to know what the best response rate is when it comes to this question?

Thanx in advance!

Albert

Just your return address much like this.. With or without the art work.

Another good way is to use a label

So, IYO you say no name.  Have you ever tested both, with & without the name?

I should clarify.  Only on yellow letters would you leave off your name.     If anything else name and address.  

Have I tested??? Just a wee bit.  

@Michael Q. - upon re-reading the OP, it sounds like @Albert Cardenas  would be using the name "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" on the return address and not his own name.  Or maybe I'm mistaken in that.  But have you tested with fictitious names in the return address, using a common name that the recipient might believe is a friend?

Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

@Michael Q. - upon re-reading the OP, it sounds like @Albert Cardenas would be using the name "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" on the return address and not his own name.  Or maybe I'm mistaken in that.  But have you tested with fictitious names in the return address, using a common name that the recipient might believe is a friend?

Actually, I would be using "Mr & Mrs Cardenas", If I put a name.

@Steve Babiak  

I believe Brad and Angelina made millions using Mr. And Mrs. Smith as a fictitious name.   

BTW, what I'm sending is an envelope that I want them to open.  I think the "Mr & Mrs" is not a bad idea because they see it's a husband & wife, which sounds to me like it's more trusting, even if they don't recognize the last name.

For crying out loud, why the big debate? 

You may get a response, you may not. 

Mail, track, evaluate. 

Since I'm betting your first mail drop is not 20,000 pieces, just send it out. Keep a record of what you did, maybe a sample piece, too. 

If you send a "sneaker" piece that misleads people, you will need to be sufficiently compelling in your sales conversion to address any concerns regarding trust and comfort with someone who fooled them with their mail carrier (envelope).

The purpose of the mail piece (letter, postcard, etc.) is to get someone to raise their hand and say, 'I'm interested in learning more' so they call (or write) you. You then need to take it from there and convert the lead to a mutually acceptable offer and close. 

I have only sent ONE letter so far and I used a personal mailing label with my name.  I will report back with the results.

I didn't use a name, just an address and this made no difference. I still had a huge amount of calls for my campaign. I don't think it really makes a difference. 

@Jason Eyerly  

Besides open rate here is maybe a better reason not to put a name on an envelope or a personal physical address...

For adults only I posted this before however it is a great reminder of a personas personality flaw.

And to all of the females out there... Not to sound terrifying however please never use your name or personal home address and certainly tell someone where you're going to on appointments and have a safety plan.

I know one Realtor who was raped on a showing appointment and a former mentee was groped on a purchase appointment.

Hey Mike - I occasional "get" to listen to some pretty crude characters, however it think your caller used F*** enough times to convince me of two things and one opportunity:

1) The F word, when used as an adjective, loses its effectiveness and impact when repeatedly used (like very, very and many, many) in the same sentence as both a descriptor and as an end result. Perhaps this lapse in good grammar can be pardoned.

2) His threat, however cannot be pardoned. As a real opportunity detective, a guy like this (geez, I HOPE that's a guy's voice) leaving a message is now considered a terrorist threat and is pretty easy to get prosecuted and incarcerated for 6 months or so. I do fish in murky waters.

I've heard from not one but three (3) different people who were successfully prosecuted for their mis-directed threats and served time. 

Just enough time to turn them into a motivated seller, I figure...

From the sound of the accent, that gent was/is likely a Jets fan, so we can cut him some slack.

Originally posted by @Michael Q.:

And to all of the females out there... Not to sound terrifying however please never use your name or personal home address and certainly tell someone where you're going to on appointments and have a safety plan.

I know one Realtor who was raped on a showing appointment and a former mentee was groped on a purchase appointment.

I agree with you 100%.  I know Josh and Brandon encourage using a last name on BP, but that is truly a double edged sword.  I know a few women from a message board, unrelated to real estate, that have been stalked because they used their last name online.  One woman was approached while shopping with her child.  I understand that networking can be extremely valuable in real estate, but the trade off is your privacy. 

Originally posted by @Michael Q.:

@Jason Eyerly 

Besides open rate here is maybe a better reason not to put a name on an envelope or a personal physical address...

For adults only I posted this before however it is a great reminder of a personas personality flaw.

I got a UPS mailbox for three months for about $75. It varies by area, but a safe and smart investment.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here