Different Way of Handling Angry Voice Mails

4 Replies

I recently sent out a postcard that elicited some very angry responses; people obviously quite upset, 3 threats to sue, profanity, accusations of cowardice etc. 8 of the 11 messages from the mailing were angry. As a result I found that it really pulled me down and gave me a lot of anxiety, to the point that I procrastinated listening to massages over the past month (not a good business practice). I've heard guests on the podcast say they deal with this by saving them in a special file and that they choose to find them as humorous basically laughing at the peoples ignorance. I can understand that, it kind of makes sense, the people are really ridiculous, right? However this method didn't help my anxiety or procrastination, it actually made it worse. 

What I wanted to share with you all was how I worked through it using a counseling technique called 'reversing limiting beliefs'. I won't get into the process but the end result is what is works for me: before I listen to a message I developed an affirmation directed to the prospect who's message I'm about to hear. I say "If you're angry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I realize that your anger and hurt is probably about past experiences or current situations and not about my mailing. I'm really sorry for what you're going through/went through. I forgive you in advance for taking it out on me." 

The short version I actually say is "I'm really sorry about what happened to you. I forgive you for taking it out on me." Then I feel mentally ready to process messages. 

Oh, and I'm never mailing that particular postcard again! 

If you don't mind me asking, what did you put on that card?

Good job on finding a system that works for you, David. We can dwell on the could have/should have too long.

What works for me in most situations, is knowing that the person I'm talking to doesn't know me. He just sees the suit and has his own (wrong) conclusions already. If he doesn't listen, how can I help him? I just shake the experience off, and move on to the next person. I also think to myself, I don't know this person, and he probably has had a real bad day/week, and was taking it out on me. I'll treat him with kindness, and move on.

Agree with @JosephCox what was on the cards?

And how many did you send out? If you sent out 200, 8 nasty messages isn't too bad. But if you sent out 20 cards, that's a much higher percentage.

The angry message is much easier to face  if you use a voice-to-text transcription service so they come as readable e-mails rather than irate voices.  I can just skim the transcription and delete it if I see it's venting.  

I use YouMail but there are others I'm sure.  I've been very happy with YouMail and it is inexpensive.  

@David Fritch  I have found that when people vent like that, they are not really upset with you, they are upset with the position they have put themselves in or they just are mad at life. I would keep mailing them if they have a property that fits your investment strategy. As Account Closed says,"do they get mad at dominoes pizza for sending them a coupon every week in the mail? And does Dominoes stop sending them to you if you don't use it? No they just keep mailing knowing that one day you will use it. The same way the owner may sell to you one day, peoples lives and circumstances change. They may not be selling today , but some day they will or their family will." I hope I remembered that correctly Aaron. LOL. I have even had people call after the third mail piece because they misplaced the others and wanters to get in touch with me to sell.

By the way, it i snot agains the law to send a mail piece.

Hope this helps ya.

Happy investing!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you