Yellow letter Marketing

9 Replies

Good evening all.

I have seen a lot of talk about using these yellow letters for marketing. My question to you all is, where did you get your addresses to send the letters to? Did you pay for them? What was the best source you found? Thanks for all your help!!!

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now

I'm in Richmond as well...It helps to pick a certain niche and follow that.  I started with going after blighted propeties.  I went to the Chesterfield courthouse and got a list of code violators and started by reasearching properties from the list that had owners who didnt live at the propety in violation.   That showed me that the owner either didnt care too much for the house or coudlnt afford the upkeep with it a good direction for finding a motivated seller.  Once I had that list compiled I just simple sent yellow letters out.  I hand wrote my letters on a yellow legal pad one by one.  Its weird but the very first house I sent a yellow letter to lead to a contract.  Either I was extremely lucky or I was shown favor. 

Its a couple different lanes you could take though in all honesty,  but I definetly start with some type of niche and brainstorm arount that niche and fully commite until you see some traction.

Hope that helped some. 

Cass 

It definitely does help. I hear a lot of folks saying to pick a niche. What exactly does that mean? Also, what dept. at the courthouse did you contact for that list? Thanks for responding!!

Michael,

Each courthouse is different; best thing you can do is to just show up and keep asking around to find out where you eventually need to go. Some counties are easier to work with than others.

Another way to niche down your efforts is to pick a couple farms areas and drive for dollars through them. If you're not familiar with driving for dollars, look it up on this site or Youtube. Being from Mechanicsville, I would start out that way. Also, find out what areas investors in that area like to invest in and start combing those neighborhoods. 

I think the one guy I know out that way likes to hug the north side of 295.

Hope it helps.

Cant remember the department...I want to say it was zoning?  I didnt go in person I called and told them what I was looking for and after a couple of phone transfers I was connected to the right people who kept records of code violations. 

Niche meannig one particular lane in so many words. Forclosures, REO's, Short Sales, Code Voilators, Tax Sales, etc.

I said I wanted a less traveled niche so I went after the ugly boarded up houses people like to stay away from in areas of town I like.   

If you are a bit tech savvy, you can actually make a font of your own handwriting and create a mail merge template that you then print onto yellow paper:

http://www.myscriptfont.com/

I put my names in a spreadsheet, mail merge them into my Microsoft Publisher yellow letter template, load up the printer with yellow lined paper and BOOM! yellow letters, no actual handwriting required. Same deal with my envelopes. 

Every single envelope I send out looks hand written but its not. 

nb

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you