Bandit Sign 2.0 Created 2,467 Leads all in one Week

17 Replies

I'm not even going to spend any time on what bandit signs are, and how they're used. If you know anything about real estate, then you know what they are and the overall purpose is to gain leads.

Let me introduce to you Bandit Sign 2.0

About a couple of years ago one of my friends and I decided to create a twist in the bandit sign marketing formula. What we did was that we went out and found 2 lawn care companies, and told them we needed them on hand when needed. We just told them that we are investors, and have a number of properties that need lawn care.

So, we went out and set bandit signs around the city listing that we are giving away free lawn care services. All they had to do was text in the code, and opt-in to our website. This is one reason that I preach so much about having a website, because the things you can do with it are unlimited.

So, after a week or so we had over 2,467 people who signed up for the free lawn care program. All we did was randomly pick one person per month to care for their lawn. We were out of about $50 to $100 per month for paying for the services.

The great thing about that was that we got thousands of people over to the website where we educated them on lawn care tips, and told them about how we buy houses. I can't tell you how powerful this was to get just a little creative on using bandit signs. I call it my Bandit Sign 2.0 because, it's new and more effective than the old way of doing it.

Plus, the leads we got from it was crazy from the distressed home sellers, down to great tenant buyers. 

I would say to give this a try if you guys have websites, because it works so good that it is crazy not to do it. People see free lawn care services, and just can't help to opt-in to win.

What do you guys think about Bandit Sign 2.0?

@Kimberly Land  jscott

From your post I would say its totally un ethical and most likely illegal.  Unless you had a disclaimer saying that you could register and maybe win free lawn service.. But the way you posted this sounds like a bait and switch sleaze ball approach.

Reminds me of the Washington DC cops who sent out   mailers to individuals that were wanted for jumping bail and petty type stuff.. they offered free tickets to a Washington redskins game just had to show up show proof of ID and you won... they arrested 500 to 800 low lifes in that one sting.. Or like the bait cars  leave keys in the car and entice people to steal them.. same idea...

You could also put on your Bandit sign any other offer of some gift like a free big screen TV you would get 10k leads. 

I would think unless you have a disclaimer on your signs your probably going to hear from the authorities

@Jay Hinrichs  After doing this for so many years I never heard anyone say what you just said. Well for the post here I gave you all the short story of how it's done.

Full version is that people opt-in to receive free information every two weeks on how to keep their lawn healthy. Plus at the same time they are always in the drawing to win a free landscaping. We only are out to educate people on their lawns, but if they choose to use our services that's up to them...nothing illegal about that. 

We never say anything about "we buy houses" unless they call or email for help. Remember the world of marketing is about being creative and thinking outside the box.

Just because you haven't heard or seen something like this done before doesn't mean its illegal. No one asking for money or anythgin like that. We just educate and allow the lead to contact us.

Wish you the best Jay

@Antonio Coleman  

Ok there you go.. .you did not post this in your first post if you read it ,, you insinuated  that they would get free lawn care IE someone comes out and mow's the lawn for free... Now your saying that they just get blurb on how to take care of a lawn and register to win FREE lawn care. I get it.. I think you could think outside the box and offer anyone who opts in to get a chance to win a big screen TV that would work.

AS for marketing been doing that a few years.

One of my favorites is I buy cruise line certificates 30 at a time.  and give those to clients and realtors they get the cert for free and it cost them either 99 bucks or 199 for a 5 day booze cruise out of new Orleans or Long beach.. I give those away at Brokers open when I have one of my new constructions coming on the market.. it works a heck of a lot better than a Starbucks card.. I bet  my attendance is 100% better.. they throw their card in the hat for the free cruise.. And since I buy 30 at a time they cost me 59.95 per cruise.. And they are good for 2 years.. Try that one on your bandit signs  and let me know how that works.

Been there done that and thanks for clarifying that your not bait and switching.. or at least you say your not.

@Antonio Coleman  

Not sure how your free lawn care tips translated to "So, we went out and set bandit signs around the city listing that we are giving away free lawn care services. All they had to do was text in the code, and opt-in to our website."

Big difference and before I read Jay's message, I was thinking the same thing he was.

Account Closed 

in the section of no good deed goes un done I gave Antonio one of my very best marketing methods... I bet we see free cruises pretty soon on his bandit signs... LOL..

but in all seriousness that really works... and its not a novel idea.. I got one when I bought a hot tub in 1986 and used it and then found the wholesaler companies its how cruises fill there boats. plus a lot of people never use them when they win them so the cruise lines make money for certs that are never redeamed..

@Jay Hinrichs what's wrong with what the police did so they tricked criminals into showing up and identifying themselves well if you don't like it then done be a criminal.

And as far as leaving the keys in the car is entrapment it's sb no one forced you to get in and drive off with the car. If it isn't yours don't touch it and if your so concerned then call the police.

(585) 678-6857

@Eddie T.  

I am with you man... I think it was great what the cops did and the bait car has got to be a classic... when you hear those kids on the videos you know what we are up against with those that have no respect for authority or the laws of the land.

The Washington DC sting was classic.. you had all these bail jumpers lining up for their Redskins tickets cops would check their ID's tell them they are in just go through the door in the back and get your free tickets .. and the cops just arrested them on the spot and took them to the paddy wagon... I think it was a brilliant move

It still sounds to me like you are saying the signs just said something like "Get free lawn care - send TEXT to 999-888-7777 to opt-in."

The problem is that I believe you are offering a drawing of some sort and that did not sound clear.  Then you said they get texts that are tips about lawn care - who asked for that?  It was not what you mentioned on the sign... this is why I personally will NEVER text to a marketing number - you end up getting bombed with junk texts.

I dunno man.  We've done lots of tests - offered a free iPad once (if we buy your house) - got a ton of JUNK phone calls.  Any time you spend all your effort marketing something besides what you are really offering, it generally results in unqualified leads.  But I suppose if you generate enough junk leads there may be a few jewels found among the junk....

@Antonio Coleman  Very creative idea.  Bandit signs around here are constant and don't build trust.  Your approach just might be a better mousetrap. 

However, the judge of a good campaign is ROI not subscribers to your lawn tips. Great campaigns are different, but have strong end-results.

Keep trying new things which build *trust* and generate leads and you'll get outstanding results.  

Rick

@Rick Baggenstoss  Thanks bro..we are constantly trying new marketing strategies in our city. Somethings work, and others just flop. However, this one work really well if you can get the system in place. 

So I am still confused on what the signs read?

@Tanner Trokey  

The signs are done in many forms. The best one reads..

"Win Free Landscaping" Text Lawn at 12345

Very simple and to the point 

Very creative... nice effort!  Did you get in any trouble with code enforcement?  Did you put them out on a Friday and collect them Sunday night?  Or were there any snags with the signs themselves?  Do you put them on lawns in H wire frames, or up high on telephone poles?  Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by @Antonio Coleman :

@Tanner Trokey  

The signs are done in many forms. The best one reads..

"Win Free Landscaping" Text Lawn at 12345

Very simple and to the point 

Question- Do you use a google voice account? Were you able to set up an automatic text reply from your google voice number? 

Originally posted by @Antonio Coleman :

I'm not even going to spend any time on what bandit signs are, and how they're used. If you know anything about real estate, then you know what they are and the overall purpose is to gain leads.

Let me introduce to you Bandit Sign 2.0

About a couple of years ago one of my friends and I decided to create a twist in the bandit sign marketing formula. What we did was that we went out and found 2 lawn care companies, and told them we needed them on hand when needed. We just told them that we are investors, and have a number of properties that need lawn care.

So, we went out and set bandit signs around the city listing that we are giving away free lawn care services. All they had to do was text in the code, and opt-in to our website. This is one reason that I preach so much about having a website, because the things you can do with it are unlimited.

So, after a week or so we had over 2,467 people who signed up for the free lawn care program. All we did was randomly pick one person per month to care for their lawn. We were out of about $50 to $100 per month for paying for the services.

The great thing about that was that we got thousands of people over to the website where we educated them on lawn care tips, and told them about how we buy houses. I can't tell you how powerful this was to get just a little creative on using bandit signs. I call it my Bandit Sign 2.0 because, it's new and more effective than the old way of doing it.

Plus, the leads we got from it was crazy from the distressed home sellers, down to great tenant buyers. 

I would say to give this a try if you guys have websites, because it works so good that it is crazy not to do it. People see free lawn care services, and just can't help to opt-in to win.

What do you guys think about Bandit Sign 2.0?

So you said you received a lot of leads, but how many converted into a deal?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.