Banner code violation?

6 Replies

We decided to incorporate a new way of advertising our owner financed houses, by hanging a banner on them. Within the first couple of days after hanging the banner we get a call from code enforcement saying that it's a code violation and we need to remove it ASAP. There's no HOA in this neighborhood and the code enforcement officer directed us to the code where we read that no banners are allowed. Ok, to keep the peace with our cities we complied and took it down immediately.

He made it clear we cannot even hang the banner inside the windows to be seen from the outside.

Has anyone had this happen to them and have they found a way around it?  I thought of painting the sign onto the garage so it could still be read, and then repainting the garage door when it sells, but I'm thinking it may look a little tacky?  Ideas?

Yeah...that kind of thing is against code in Richardson, TX also.  Signage is pretty strict in a lot of areas.  In those areas, about the only thing you can get by with is a realtor style sign in the front yard.  Check the code website or call them, they generally spell out exactly how large the sign can be, how far back it has to sit from the street and how long it can stay there.  i.e.  In Richardson, the sign has to be inside the easement space, maintained in good repair, but they don't restrict the length of time it can stay.  The signs can be up to 4' high and about 3' wide, which is a lot of space.  That type of sign would probably work for you.  Although it would be a little more expensive.

As you drive around town, see what others are doing. Buy an old moving truck or a full size service van with no windows and have the sign painted on it. Say something like "Buy this house" so they know it's advertising. Park it in the driveway. Anyway the signage perpendicular to the direction of traffic is most effective so the truck would be better than your banner.

That is really the only way around a good signage ordinance. Since you got the smack down and having it inside is not ok then my bet is they have done some good research and the ordinance is air tight. Read the ordinance. It's worth your time.

This post has been removed.

Folks a reminder.  Discussion about signs and sign ordinances is fine.  Discussion about ways to break those laws and get away with it is not.

One more thing, you can also post banners behind the fence this makes it very hard for the town because they would be trespassing. However if you do not feel comfortable your best bet is painting a truck or van with what you want and park it in strategic areas.

Sorry, please about my previous post. Just focus on the part about having a truck or van painted with your message and park it in strategic areas.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here