Calling FSBO's and Expired

17 Replies

I'm curious to know what systems or programs people use to contact FSBO's and Expired listings. I know mail outs is the most common but is there anyway to obtain actual phone numbers ?

Because you are an agent I would just hit them at the door. Simple script. Hi, i'm sally and I know you had your home for sale, are you still planning to sell it? (yes) I am a real estate investor but I also have a real estate license but I wanted to check your home out and see if it is something I might be interested in buying as an investment. would it be ok with you if I took a few minutes to see the property? I won't go into the rest of the script but it gets you started. And whatever you do learn to smile. I never liked mail or telephone for these two classes very much because the success rate was always so much higher for face to face as an investor-broker. Carry two business cards, your agents card and your investors card. 

Thanks @Brian P. that's actually a great idea for me to have 2 cards currently I don't but I will get an investor's card asap. Thanks I appreciate your advice.

WhitePages.com has worked great for me for getting phone numbers.

@Cierra Seay  

I'm curious did you every go knocking on those doors? I've seen a couple FSBO signs in my neighborhood and I've been thinking about approaching them.

@Carlos Coppin Jr  

Not yet I've been doing okay with cold calls and handwritten letters. The letters are easy if they are in my neighborhood because I can just drop them in their mailbox.

@Cierra Seay  I admire your courage, but be careful just putting letters into people's mailboxes!  It's probably unlikely you get punished for it, but it is illegal.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1725

@Jim B.   thank you for that I had no idea so how does that work for people who put flyers in doors ? Or is that okay because it's not the mailbox ?

As far as I know, unless they specifically have a sign that says "no soliciting", then it's free game.  Either that or those people have no fear!

If you're going to cold call, start by saying... "Hi so and so?  This is XXX with XXXX.  I noticed your house came off the market.  Why do you think it didn't sell?"

Boom.  That's your lead in.  If you ask a yes or no question all they have to say is "NO" and it's all over.  Ask an open ended question.

Remember:  Who, What, Where, When, Why, & How.

There are several services that you can subscribe to that provides addresses and phone numbers of expireds and FSBO. It will scrub the list for the do not call list. One is Landvoice and the other is Mojo. I know of one other that I got access to through my broker, but I didn't think it did a good job. I haven't used either so I can't give a review.

@JOAN DICKIE   I've heard of Mojo I will look into landvoice. Thanks so much ! 

Originally posted by @Cierra Seay :

@JOAN DICKIE   I've heard of Mojo I will look into landvoice. Thanks so much ! 

Hi Cierra, 

I happened to land on this pas post of yours and am wondering if you did research Mojo and/or Landvoice and whether you might share your thoughts on them? 

Best,

Marcela...GC and investor from Washington, DC

Mail Box is illegal from my understanding because it is technically "federal property" if I recall correctly. That's why kids get in HUGE trouble for blowing them up. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.