How much mail is too much?

4 Replies

In mailing to a target group or area, how many yellow letter mailings are too many?  Monthly for a year?  2 years?  How do you keep the content/message fresh when you are hitting them so many times?  

I know you might hit diminishing returns at some point, but in some cases diminished returns can still be in the target range.  

Tagging Quarles and Puckett.  

Hi John,

It's a great question, although hard to tell since direct mail marketing its about a number's game and lots of persistence. My current renovation its from a seller I mailed for 2 years On a monthly basis!

When homeowners call for the first time asking me to remove them from the list I agree but next month "a system glitch" will mail them again until the really mean it. I wish you the best of success!

@Jon Klaus  

the amount to send or not to send is relative to your business infrastructure and systemization.

Most new investors should not exceed 1000 yellow letters month one, then send 1000 zip letters month 2 and then 1000 text Post cards month 3.

At that point we will know a lot about the prospect group and the investor. Things like capture rate and conversion rate.

Our business is all about

lead generation

Lead capture

Lead fulfillment

And just because you can make the phone blow up doesn't mean you should.

Yellow Letters are not the only thing to send. They should be one of 3 or one of 6 pieces that you rotate so that you can speak to all of the prospects and keep your message fresh so when the prospect has real estate as a TOM thought you are there.

We know the message and we know the script for inbound those two are easy.. But do we know the negotiation techniques to use to turn generation into fulfillment. Most struggle with that one.

Once you systematize your business and fully understand how to convert then the number of pieces to send typically ends up in the tens of thousands monthly.

It is all about duplicating a predictable income stream.

Hey @Jon Klaus  - we hit different groups at different frequencies, something like:

Absentees - Monthly
Owner Occ - Every 6 to 8 weeks
Probate - Hit them twice in 30 days then every 2 months for about 9 months max

We don't stop mailing once we have our frequencies tuned in - but we do refresh each list every 6 months to get the news and drop the outdated records....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.