Has anyone created their own data lists and then resold?

5 Replies

Just curious... has anyone tried to lease, rent, or resell data lists? I know that the commercial sites don't generally allow you to resell their data, but I generate my own data from public sources (eg: government web-sites).

I use the data personally to assess the market, generate trends/leads, etc, but I was thinking the other day that other people might be interested in the data.

Thanks!

Michael

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Perhaps give away (or steeply discount) a few lists to get some positive feedback first? Philadelphia may be a good market to start in :) 

My only trepidation is, unless your customer is using huge lists/areas, it's probably not worth selling a few hundred names here and there. The lists are relatively cheap. Also, unless people can drill down easily, they may not want to buy a huge amount of data when they only need absentee owners or the like. Just my ramblings and they're worth about what you paid for them...

@Mike Harris  

you have to ask yourself 'what business am I in?' If you want to build a specialty information service business, that's fine. If you want to invest in RE, that's fine too. I'd pick one and focus.

I have built systems (probably) similar to yours for internal consumption. Lots of shell programming, PHP, MySQL. I know a guy who sells access to his database to the general public. $100/month. All trustee sales in the county. It's a great service. Both paths have + and -, it's just a matter of where you put your time.

I think that list in general are so cheap I am not sure if the profit would be worth it. Unless your profit would be hopes of finding better deals through networking.

I can't imagine it being worth the time and effort to do that and you'd probably make more money getting the deals off of them. Im curious how you gather your information, do you do it by hand or do you have a tool? 

@Mike Harris  

Curious as to what extra 'value add' you present with your data. Do you have searches not offered by ListSource, for instance? Or what people could find using MLS queries?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here