Starting a Yellow Letter Campaign Advice "

25 Replies

Starting a yellow letter campaign.  Any Input Advice Appreciated.

I bought a list of homeowners off listsource with the following parameters.  I think Sean Terry said this was close to the best parameters for getting a good response.

City of my choice
Total Assessed Value 0 to $100,000
Property TypeResidential: SFR
Length of Residence10+ Years
(Household) Age65+ Years
ADDRESS-COMPLETENESS Mailing and Property address Complete
CORPORATE-OWNED Exclude

I got 327 from the above criteria for $57.  I plan to mail to 100 at first.  49 cents a stamp.  Total damage about $107.  $107 isn't that much money unless you don't have $107.

I plan to write everything in red pen and I almost failed penmanship growing up - so my writing isn't too good.

Envelope:
My Home Return address - I have some return address stickers laying around I plan to use.
Write their address in red pen.
What color envelope?  Invitation A6?
What stamp should I use?  Spiderman to American flag?

Letter:
I plan on using lined legal paper.

Says:

Dear X,

I would like to $buy$ your house at 123 main street.

Please call me,

Kirk
Google phone number that includes my local area code.

PLEASE RESPOND TO MY OTHER POST - not sure why it posted twice.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87/topics/151695-starting-a-yellow-letter-campaign-advice-appreciated

That letter will get you the highest response rate (as long as you include your phone number). I would go with a cream/beige invitation envelope, stamp choice isn't too important however. Only thing I would not recommend is using your home address as the return. Some people are weird and will show up at your house. Office address work great or even a PO Box would be better than your home. Good Luck!

Yeah...I'd have to agree on not using the home address. I've heard some stories about whack-o's threatening physical harm just for getting a letter offering to buy their house. I don't care for the idea of someone that unstable having my home address. Especially since I have a full-time job and my wife home-schools our kids so they're home all day while I'm gone. Other than that it sounds like you're on the right track. Not sure what your financial position is, but you could always hire someone to write your letters for you. What I've done for my handwritten ones is to write the original on plain white copier paper using a lined yellow page as a backing so I get the lines straight. Then I put the white page on my color printer/copier and feed pages from a yellow legal pad one at a time to copy the red ink onto the yellow paper. All I have to do at that point is put in the prospect's name at the top and the property address. I've actually gotten a higher response rate from the 60 or so of those I've sent (about half a dozen calls as well as a potential deal I'm putting an offer on tomorrow) than I have on the 1000-letter campaign I've had professionally done (only 2 calls so far). Good luck!

Originally posted by @Cody Alexander:

That letter will get you the highest response rate (as long as you include your phone number). I would go with a cream/beige invitation envelope, stamp choice isn't too important however. Only thing I would not recommend is using your home address as the return. Some people are weird and will show up at your house. Office address work great or even a PO Box would be better than your home. Good Luck!

Cody, why do you like the invitation style envelope?

@Jim viens

i haven't had too much success doing investor things.  So i have spent money in past and just wasted time and effort and money.oops i mean got good experience.

How much do they typically charge per yellow letter?  how many yellow letters per deal?

Once i get some success i will think about automation paying someone.

Good luck on your offer tomorrow.  

@Kirk R.  - as far as how much the letters cost, if you want to go the handwritten route you could pay a high-school kid a few dollars per hundred. If you want to go professional there are several companies you could go with that you can get quotes from. Yellowletters.com, click2mail and others. I paid $1000 for a 1000-name mailing list (to an area in a neighboring state) and 1000 letters prepped and mailed. You could also start with postcards...they're a bit less expensive.

Hopefully now that you're on BP you can get all the info you need to avoid such expensive "lessons". :) I'd just suggest picking one area to focus in on with laser-intensity (i.e.: web marketing, direct mail, signs, door-hangers, etc.). Wring what you can out of it then add on from there. Same with your investing strategy. If you're starting with wholesaling, get really good at that before adding something else in the mix. Dial it in. Actually if that's where you start then rehabbing won't be too big of a jump because you should already have a handle on estimating ARV and repair costs. But you will need to learn how to deal with contractors and manage the project. Or you could go right into buy-hold where you learn landlording. Like I said, just take small steps at first and grow once you have a solid foundation under you.

@Jim Viens  im relunctant to spend $100.  Laser intensity will have to work on.  I am willing to spend the money because I have financing and will occupy myself. 

vs. Finding a good deal.  Then trying to get it under contract.  Then trying to get an investor and then doing a double closing or something.  Too many thens.  But i am somewhat hoping i find multiple good deals.

oh and good idea on highschooler.  Maybe do post cards for 2nd mailing to same list of 100.

@Tim Leslie 

Couple tips Tim mentioned

Just tuck envelope

Mail it so it gets there around thurs fri,

Thanks Tim

Hey Kirk, 

One thing that might help is to listen to @JoeMcall's podcast on 'Invisible Leads'.  He interviewed a guy that can tell you how to get lists from the government at no charge. That'd save you some $$.

@bob 

@Bob Kinnison  

Thanks i will have to give it a look.  Free is always good sometimes.

Buying supplies and writing.  Would it be worth sending orange envelopes since it is almost Halloween?

@Jon Klaus  Invitation envelopes are most commonly associated with good news or with people we know and have a more personal feel. Ex] wedding invitations, birthday cards, thank you cards ect... typically only coming from people you personally know. If you're going with a typed letter i would recommend a #10 as you would want more of a professional touch. Realistically though, a handwritten envelope will get opened no matter what envelope it's in. From there it is the message inside that will determine your response.

Well.  I spent $18 at the dollar store to get:

100 envelopes - about 50 baby blue ones and 50 yellow - actually baby invitations envelopes but...shopped at Office Max didn't find anything.

Then I got 100 stamps - my mailing targets 65+
Celebrate
Some Flowers
Batman! - Yes Batman stamps are in stock - What 65 year old woman doesn't love batman
Circus stamps/Posters - like Barnum & Bailey
& Red Pens.

For 100 including leads mailed with my FREE labor - $125.  Or $1.25 per. Or $1.04 with my left over 200 leads.

Planning to start writing tomorrow and drop them in the post office in the town I am targeting on Tuesday says Monday is a holiday.

Will track if I get different responses from envelope color different stamps.  Although thinking my sampling may be a bit on the small side.

Any Advice? Appreciated?

Keep going, you are going to learn something and you might just get a deal.  Realistically, you'll need to keep sending them out and not get too high hopes with 100 pieces.  

Originally posted by @Cody Alexander:

@Jon Klaus Invitation envelopes are most commonly associated with good news or with people we know and have a more personal feel. Ex] wedding invitations, birthday cards, thank you cards ect... typically only coming from people you personally know. If you're going with a typed letter i would recommend a #10 as you would want more of a professional touch. Realistically though, a handwritten envelope will get opened no matter what envelope it's in. From there it is the message inside that will determine your response.

Thanks Cody, where do you buy invitation stationary in bully?  I've used it, but it was either pricy or poor quality. 

Please be sure to follow up, @Kirk R.  I'm interested to see how it goes. And if your source was accurate, as I've heard around here that a lot of those sites are outdated. 

We use yellow post cards because the recipient doesn't have to open them, they are cheaper, the stamp is cheaper too.   

Bob Kinnison, thanks for recommending Joe Mccalls podcast episode.  Lol.  I'm the guy he interviewed on that podcast!  Glad you liked it.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.