Do I need a business checking account?

4 Replies

I have 4 rental properties. I just use a separate bank account which is a personal checking account. I do NOT have my properties in a LLC.

Should I have a business checking account or is a separate personal checking account fine? 

@Jimmy S.  This will be preference, but have you thought about putting your properties in an llc? Then you would need a separate account. I think this is important when it comes to liability now a days.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Tillotson :

@Nate M. This will be preference, but have you thought about putting your properties in an llc? Then you would need a separate account. I think this is important when it comes to liability now a days.

I thought about it but seems like a real pain and would not really like to. Changes taxes, bank wont loan as much and just alot more headaches.

My attorney said a umbrella policy that covers over all the properties is just as good as a LLC but with alot less headaches and costs.

Right now I just use a separate personal checking bank account to keep all my rental stuff in, but does it really make a difference if its a checking vs business account?

Thanks

if you choose to go that way then it really doesn't matter. I would even argue that should be treated the same so it doesn't look shady. If you are running houses in your name then monies should be in your name. On a side note a disregarded entity would change taxes. Not a lawyer or legal advice.

I got a business account for the simple reason of allowing my tenants to write checks to a business name versus my name.

When managing myself, my card simply said Property Manager and my first name... they didn't need to know I was also the owner.  They wrote checks out to the business name on my card.  Just a touch of anonymity which I liked.

Sure, a quick google search would have shown the owner of the company shared a first name with me but such is life :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here