Do I need a business checking account?

4 Replies

I have 4 rental properties. I just use a separate bank account which is a personal checking account. I do NOT have my properties in a LLC.

Should I have a business checking account or is a separate personal checking account fine? 

@Jimmy S.  This will be preference, but have you thought about putting your properties in an llc? Then you would need a separate account. I think this is important when it comes to liability now a days.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Tillotson :

@Nate M. This will be preference, but have you thought about putting your properties in an llc? Then you would need a separate account. I think this is important when it comes to liability now a days.

I thought about it but seems like a real pain and would not really like to. Changes taxes, bank wont loan as much and just alot more headaches.

My attorney said a umbrella policy that covers over all the properties is just as good as a LLC but with alot less headaches and costs.

Right now I just use a separate personal checking bank account to keep all my rental stuff in, but does it really make a difference if its a checking vs business account?

Thanks

if you choose to go that way then it really doesn't matter. I would even argue that should be treated the same so it doesn't look shady. If you are running houses in your name then monies should be in your name. On a side note a disregarded entity would change taxes. Not a lawyer or legal advice.

I got a business account for the simple reason of allowing my tenants to write checks to a business name versus my name.

When managing myself, my card simply said Property Manager and my first name... they didn't need to know I was also the owner.  They wrote checks out to the business name on my card.  Just a touch of anonymity which I liked.

Sure, a quick google search would have shown the owner of the company shared a first name with me but such is life :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.