Using Social Media in Business

6 Replies

I'm curious to know how others use social media for growing their business. I for one have never been big on it in my personal life and quite honestly don't know how I could use it in my business life, but I do see so many others use it and I am just curious, how?

For those like me who don't have a big interest in using it yourself, would you recommend hiring someone to manage social media presence? If so, what should I expect from whoever is hired? And how should results be measured?

I wouldn't pay someone to do it for you.  Then when people are thinking they're dealing with you, they really aren't.  I have a facebook page set up for my company and I'm working on designing a webpage.  These days if you don't have some sort of digital presence, people don't think you're legit.  

@James Stevens  I definitely agree with a company having a digital presence as a consumer myself I always feel more comfortable the more I can find out about a company. A website is certainly a must and I have one for my current business. I just don't understand how to utilize social media. 

You mentioned "when people are thinking they're dealing with you..." Do you actually deal with clients over facebook? Do they find you on facebook or find you elsewhere then add you there?

I love social media for business. Every time I have a house available I'll throw it on my facebook page but I also have joined a couple other facebook pages that are specifically for people looking to buy, sell or rent a house (one for the county and the other for the city). So if you find a page like that even if you aren't very active and don't have many facebook friends you can still gain the exposure. If you don't have any pages like that it may be good to start one.  I usually get about 5-10 responses from facebook in the first day or two. I also throw stuff on craigslist and postlets and get a couple from each but facebook brings the biggest return to me. All of them are free and I only need to find one willing to make a deal which so far has happened every time. 

I have received leads through my facebook page and I also use it for marketing.  It reaches a large audience.

I just recently started using social media. I have all my different social media sites linked. I use a Twitter account mainly to put provide valuable information to other people (articles, blog posts, motivational things, etc.). I have my personal LinkedIn account attached to my website so that people can put a face to the name. I use social media mainly to inspire and share solid info with others. 

I think that social media is very crucial for any growing business. For real estate specifically, you can do so much with it and spread the word about your company and the services and properties you provide. 

There's a few ways to manage your social media pretty easily so I've heard. I don't use it, but I have heard HootSuite is pretty good for this. But I wouldn't hire someone else to run it for me. 

@Brandon G.  This is a good thread. I am currently having that same issue. I not a huge fan of social media but I have seen it improve other peoples business.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide