Return to Sender and Vacant Letters

3 Replies

Can anyone help me?

I have heard of marketers reaching out to those individuals when the owner's address comes back as a RTS because of the address being vacant, unable to forward, or not deliverable as addressed.

Can someone who follows up on these RTS leads tell me what you do with your postcards or yellow letters that get returned when the owner's address is vacant?  

I have heard of people using intelius to look up the owner's current address.  Is this reliable?  It sound's like a tedious process, but definitely something that can be outsourced.

Is anyone out there doing this, if so, what sort of system or process do you follow to find or contact the owners of the property if the mailing gets returned because of the mailing address being vacant, unable to forward, or not deliverable.

If you do use Intelius to find up to date information on people, are you sending them a new letter to the correct owner address, or what if the owner's address on intelius is the same one that got returned?

Thanks for the help!

It's called skip tracing. The easier ones to sign up with are junk. If you want results you will need to sign up with a legit company. TLO.com is one investors use and microbilt.com. I will warn you, it is a lot of hoops to jump through. But once you get it, the flood gates will open.  

@Ben G.  I can only speak about TLO but if you read their agreement I would say that tracking down owners to buy their property is in the grey area of their user agreement. They specifically prohibit using their service to find people to market services like agency. That is, I can't see a vacant home and use the service to locate the owner and then contact them with an offer to list their home. They made it clear to me that this sort of activity was prohibited. I have property that I manage so they said the service was designed to chase tenants owing me money. When I asked about chasing down people that I wanted to buy their property they changed the topic. 

As for hoops, the Fair Credit act has requirements in it for people who get to see credit information. Someone will come to your "office" and do an inspection and check the requirements. For example your computer that you use to access the site must have security, you must have a paper shredder, there must be a separate locking space where the computer and shredder are located and it can not be a spare bed room. NO bed in the room and preferably not a closet. For me it's my unfinished basement. You won't pass if you are going to the library to do your research using a public computer. There are other requirements as well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.