Online Marketing Question

5 Replies

Hey BP community, I was looking to get some feedback from any of you that mostly or solely gets their leads from online marketing, primarily on social media if possible. I'm thinking of focusing on building a presence on facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter. I just set up an instagram and linked my facebook business page as my main website because I plan to do some more targeted marketing in the future. I know I can also link my twitter, and tumblr (possibly) to any posts I make as well. My goal with this is to build presence as a wholesaler for now but I want to get into Subject-to and owner financing down the line. So some general questions:

• Do you have any tips or advice to get me started?
  • Since online in not as targeted as direct mail, how have you guys found success through online marketing? What works and what doesn't? 
  • Where do you find the content? (My only exprience comes from the posts on BP and REIA meetings I've attended)
  • How frequently do you post content?

Richard -

Although most of my online presence exists in a different world, I have definitely learned a few tricks of brand building in the tech space:

• Social media does not matter without substance. The Twitter accounts I follow are people who are already subject matter experts in their fields, and have something to offer other than marketing.
  • Marketing is fine, education text is better, videos are best. I made my first investment with a Memphis based company because I saw great videos of the founder explaining his philosophy. It's a bit of a cliche, but I invested in him, not necessarily the property.
  • As someone who produces videos, screencast tutorials are a great way to offer something immediately useful to people, this will set you apart from the crowd of people asking for things.
  • Don't post to a level to get annoying, but be frequent so whatever you are offering people will get used to. You can see how @Joshua Dorkin  and the BP crew do this enough to be regular, but not overload with podcast material.
  • Your personal network will always be your strongest. Nuff said.
  • Do you have any tips or advice to get me started?

Develop a social media plan. This will help you maximize your time and resources. You can google social media plan template to help guide you through the process.

Keep in mind managing multiple social media channels takes a lot of time. You want to make sure your using considering the audience.

• Since online in not as targeted as direct mail, how have you guys found success through online marketing? What works and what doesn't?

With any type of marketing just about everything works but you do want to test different things to see what sticks. For example, you can try text based postings vs image based posting over 60 day period on Facebook to see which one gets people to call you.

• Where do you find the content? (My only exprience comes from the posts on BP and REIA meetings I've attended)

Local real estate stories

Articles on finance, marketing, and other general business areas are good sources.

Testimonials from people you've done business is another source

Creating your content either video or blog writing is another source

• How frequently do you post content?

Focus on consistency. Can you post content once a week? Then stick with once a week. Think of it like your favorite tv show. You know every every Tuesday at 9pm your favorite  airs. Chances are you're going to be consistent in watching that show at the same day and time. Now imagine that show aired one week on Tuesday at 9pm, then next week it aired Sunday at 3pm, then the next week it aired Friday at 7am. Are you going to keep up with that show with that type schedule? Thing of you social media and regular marketing in that same manner.

your time and effort can be used else where. You need to put yourself in front of people who need your service. Nobody gives a hoot about "10 ways to close quick". You need to focus on targeted traffic (people searching for help). Social media is great if your product can be offered to the general public, but last I checked you can not target "people who need to sell fast" on facebook 

Man, I have to agree with @Shane Foster .  Social media is not fertile ground for lead generation.  Sure it's a great way to get some exposure and let your friends know you're in the investing game, but other than that, do not expect leads to pop out of those sites.

I've done paid advertising on Facebook and it stinks for our purposes (finding motivated sellers).  I've spent a ton of time and money marketing on YouTube.  Got a FB page, Google Plus page, etc. etc.  That's all fine, but it DOES NOT GENERATE LEADS.  You do FB, Instagram, Twitter and all those for FUN, if that's how you want to spend your time ;-)

If you want to generate REAL leads online, I suggest two opportunities:
1) Google PPC (AdWords) - it's the best deal - people are SEARCHING FOR US THERE
2) Craigslist - I think it's kind of a wasteland with a gazillion posts by wannabe investors, but I post and repost religiously and get a lot of calls & form submissions from it.  Not as qualified as PPC but the price is right!

Thank you so much guys for the feedback. 

Dev Horn and Shane Foster - You guys bring up a pretty interesting. I definitely agree that my time would be spent better elsewhere but right now I'm saving up to have more for my marketing budget. I definitely plan to get into the more traditional forms of marketing but I like the idea of setting up an online infrastructure for leads coming in. I'll definitely spend some of my efforts focusing on existing leads through sites like Zillow, Craigslist and fsbo.com. 

Trevor Ewen and Jason Fraser -Thanks for the help guys! So the key is to focus on bringing valuable content and staying consistent. I'm gonna spend some time looking at other sites and see how I can do better. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here