Homebuilder marketing

4 Replies

Hi all -

My father in law is a small homebuilder in the cleveland / youngstown area. He's rather successful and is Doing about 6-9 homes per year. He exclusively builds in one development and is one of many other builders in several other developments.

His business is been built largely by word-of-mouth over the last several years. He's done little to no marketing outside of small ads in the counties paper and things of that sort. No real website to speak of, no advertising on Zillow, no signage, no postcards, and no other marketing tactics such as those.

For those with experiencing new home construction, or simply those that I bought a new build house, what do you think are some of the best methods in which to market his business and his developments? We considered sending postcards to homeowners and slightly older developments. Does that seem like a good idea?

we're in the process of building a new website, as well.

Much appreciated!

Hi, @Zoran M.  

Interesting question.  My background is Marketing (not Sales) - Direct Mail, online and some advertising.  My first question reading your post: who is your father-in-law's customer?

On a side note, somewhat related, sometimes I see properties for sale in a high-end area (e.g. Hudson), but the house itself is a shambles and old. I have wondered whether it could be worth it to demolish and rebuild. It seems if a new-construction 4 BR, 2500 square foot home was built, the ARV would be high. Have you had any thoughts about that? I personally have zero desire to deal with city governments personally, but if there was a builder already familiar with all of that, it could be a possibility. One would think the cities would be ecstatic to see a run down vacant house replaced with a shiny new one.

@Zoran M.

I'd do all the trade shows and home events. In my area there are always home and garden shows and a "parade of homes" where you tour through the various new builds. Try to get featured there and advertise in those sections.

I'd also see if you can network with some real estate agents. Maybe show some past examples and offer the listing commission plus some additional incentive for referring customers who want a new build.

@Zoran M.  Post cards work only if you have the foundation setup. That foundation is having a website that will work for you day and night. Once that's done you will need to build an online presence that will force his leads to find him. 

The point is to rank online locally for keywords that get high search volume that will but your business infant of thousands of leas each month. 

@Zoran M.  I guess the main question is does he build spec or custom?   The custom home market is tough business to be in but can be profitable.  If he is building spec I would just set up a small site showing his work etc. but why spend money advertising your in the spec home business? That is what the brokers and agents that sell your homes are paid to do?  Unless you are doing the entire development ie site development roads etc but if you are a featured builder in another land developers development let the agents do the work.

If he is a custom builder I suggest like above work on SEO to generate business most other forms of advertising are a waste of money.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here