When can I mass text my list?

4 Replies

If someone calls me from my website or a postcard about selling their house, but we can't make a deal at that time, is it legal for me to send them a text at a later date from a mass text service?

Is them calling me enough to be considered "opt in", or do I actually have to ask them on the phone or on a webform if they agree to text messages?

If I was personally texting them it wouldn't be an issue, but the mass text comes from a 5 digit number and is obvious it is a marketing text.

@John Horner  I wouldn't text any hot lead anyways. If I was you I would just take that time and call them and get the ball rolling. Plus BTW..I don't thinks its illegal to text someone unless your'er contacting them for the first time.

Them contacting you would not be enough to put them on your contact list.  The general process should be for the person to explicitly say "I want to be on your list", such as by clicking on a link on a web site.  Then you would text (or e-mail, if you're signing up people for e-mails) them a confirmation that asks "do you really want to be on our list?" and has a way to confirm or deny the request.  You put them on your list only if they confirm.  This "double opt in" process ensures you really have their consent to be contacted.

Originally posted by @Antonio Coleman :

@John Horner I wouldn't text any hot lead anyways. If I was you I would just take that time and call them and get the ball rolling. Plus BTW..I don't thinks its illegal to text someone unless your'er contacting them for the first time.

Yeah this is just for follow up, we personally call every lead that comes in.  These are the ones that didn't work out for whatever reason.

Originally posted by @Jon Holdman :

Them contacting you would not be enough to put them on your contact list.  The general process should be for the person to explicitly say "I want to be on your list", such as by clicking on a link on a web site.  Then you would text (or e-mail, if you're signing up people for e-mails) them a confirmation that asks "do you really want to be on our list?" and has a way to confirm or deny the request.  You put them on your list only if they confirm.  This "double opt in" process ensures you really have their consent to be contacted.

I get it, just seems odd to me.  These are all people who have called me because they wanted to sell their house.  I just want to send a follow up text after X number of months and say "Hi, we are still interested in buying your house, we would be able to offer close to retail if you would be willing to finance all or part of the sale"... or something like that.

So it is OK for me to text them from my cell phone and say that, but not from a messaging service?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.