I have partnered with another BP person in marketing for absentee owners throughout southern California. We have presumably used the successful techniques as suggested by the various gurus here in BP and elsewhere in a 3 month postcard campaign via Yellow Letters that started in November.
Perhaps I am not patient enough, but as of yet we have had absolutely NO response from this campaign.
You folks are welcome to shoot back with any questions you may have for us, but my questions are:
1. As new investors/entrepreneurs, are we wasting our time in trying to find wholesale deals in Southern California?
2. If so, I am willing to look into other states even though I have reservations about contracting out of state. What is a good market to target? (I'd prefer the western states, but am not averse to others)
3. If you are successfully wholesaling in California, please share any advice you may have.
4. I have read in many places that it can take a while (3-6 months) before a marketing campaign can bring in results, but is Zero calls or responses normal in this market?
Hi @David Tankersley marketing in Southern California can be challenging, but I would have to say it will take time until you get a proper deal. You probably would need to tweak your marketing list and farm areas.
You've indicated you are targeting "Absentee Owners". What are your criteria for "Absentee Owners" list and how many names do you mail out to per campaign? Are you spread out on your farm area or are you just targeting a certain general area? Are you targeting anything else besides "Absentee Owners"
I've been marketing here in Southern California for almost a year now and been able to secure 7 wholesale deals on a part time basis. These deals where possible to the following approach: Driving for Dollars (looking for ugly houses), Door Knocking (owners who are having payment problems), Yellow Letters and Postcards (absentee and owner occupied).
There are deals here in California, but it takes a while til you can get your niche going.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!