tax lien, tax deeds?

12 Replies

hello from Richmond Virginia 

is this something realistic or in better words worth investment time?

Jeremiah,

Any type of investment is most likely a good one in real estate but I think it is important to pick one and get good at it before trying others.

I personally have never gone after tax liens so someone else would be better suited to answer this questions for you.

Happy investing,

Ron

@Jeremiah Gray  

Ya it's a good place to start. Doesn't cost that much money to get started so take advantage of it.

Good Luck

Very complex investing, you really need to understand it. Can be very rewarding to a strong pre purchase diligence. Specialist area, whatever else anyone wants to tell you, so sharpen yer pencil and good luck!

Yes it can be a good place to start. It can be made to sound fantastic however it is not as easy as the pitches for tax lien books and courses would leave you to believe. 

Va is a Tax Deed state. This means you have to come up with much more money because you are buying a property at auction, not just paying the taxes. Buying tax liens out of state can be done for smaller amounts of money, but I am not a big fan of starting out of state at anything. 

Thank guys really good information

@Jeremiah Gray each state has a different process and some are very different. Some are very favorable for acquiring property some are a good value for ROI based on the interest rate but offer long redemption time.

Originally posted by @Bill S. :

@Jeremiah Gray each state has a different process and some are very different. Some are very favorable for acquiring property some are a good value for ROI based on the interest rate but offer long redemption time.

cool ....  thanks for the reply

@Jeremiah Gray  You may want to ask the local people what happens to the properties that are not sold at tax sale. It will require work, but usually there is a deal in them. 

Originally posted by @Jeremy Tillotson:

@Jeremiah Gray You may want to ask the local people what happens to the properties that are not sold at tax sale. It will require work, but usually there is a deal in them. 


 

Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

Yes it can be a good place to start. It can be made to sound fantastic however it is not as easy as the pitches for tax lien books and courses would leave you to believe. 

Va is a Tax Deed state. This means you have to come up with much more money because you are buying a property at auction, not just paying the taxes. Buying tax liens out of state can be done for smaller amounts of money, but I am not a big fan of starting out of state at anything. 


 

what about approaching the actual owners of the homes that are late on their taxes. Can this be a good way to get deals?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here