Direct mail -- how can I narrow this list?

8 Replies

I'm trying to put mailers together using a list from Listsource, and I settled on these criteria based on what @Michael Quarles has posted:

• Entire city
  • Absentee owners
  • At least 30% equity
  • Minimum 4 years of ownership
  • SFR
  • 3 bedrooms
  • Total assessed value $0 to $current median price

These criteria give me a list of 24,000 names on Listsource. With my budget, I need to be more in the range of 1,000 names. Any ideas for this?

Narrowing to certain zip codes come to mind, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

@Will Porter  I will target the entire list but try to educate them instead of asking to buy their house. If you do this then you will get a better response rate.

Is this in Houston or a similar big city? It might make a lot of sense to sort by area. For one thing, some areas may have plenty of house that people want to sell-  but no one wants to buy them! So that's no good to you. Think about what your end goal is- if you are wholesaling to rehabbers, look for an area that has strong sales and rising popularity. If you are doing buy/hold or selling to landlords, look for a strong rental area (these probably won't be the same areas, right?) Also, if it's a really big town then getting around to look at places and talk to people can be very cumbersome. I know in my city it can take you an hour or more to get across town at the wrong time of day, so it makes sense to focus on and learn one part of it well rather than be all spread out

Medium team zen logo vJean Bolger, 33 Zen Lane | http://www.solidrealestateadvice.com

# of baths is always a good one. Go for at least 2. If you are focusing on absentee owners maybe narrow it down to only those that live out of state. Just some suggestions. Hope this helps!

E. Harris

Originally posted by @Jean Bolger :

Is this in Houston or a similar big city? It might make a lot of sense to sort by area. For one thing, some areas may have plenty of house that people want to sell-  but no one wants to buy them! So that's no good to you. Think about what your end goal is- if you are wholesaling to rehabbers, look for an area that has strong sales and rising popularity. If you are doing buy/hold or selling to landlords, look for a strong rental area (these probably won't be the same areas, right?) Also, if it's a really big town then getting around to look at places and talk to people can be very cumbersome. I know in my city it can take you an hour or more to get across town at the wrong time of day, so it makes sense to focus on and learn one part of it well rather than be all spread out

Yep it's HTX. Everything is a long drive away, I'm used to it :\

Originally posted by @Antonio Coleman :

@Will Porter I will target the entire list but try to educate them instead of asking to buy their house. If you do this then you will get a better response rate.

Definitely working on this, using your info as a jumping-off point. But I want to supplement with a bit of old school direct mail, too.

I'm in the same boat. The results are so many. It's kind of overwhelming and expensive.

Medium logoShanequa J., Vantage Investment Properties | (713) 481‑2468 | http://www.housesbyvip.com | TX Agent # 655962

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you