Skip tracing, I found the relatives info. now what?

3 Replies

I skip trace some returned mails, some owners were deceased, some just don't have additional mailing info. 

I was able to found the relatives mailing addresses for some, I wonder what other people do what that?

Do you send the mail to the relatives, with the letter addressing the owner but put the relatives name on the envelope? (basically using that same letter that you send to the owner)

Or you would state it clearly that "I am looking for Mr. Property Owner, I hope you can help me......"

Keep in mind what your objective is: to do a deal. 

If you are trying to purchase a property from a living owner, you want to contact them and ask what they intend to do with the property.

If you're skip tracing relative of a deceased owner, just explain that there is an asset the decedent owned (without revealing what or where this asset is) and ask if there are other relative closer than them who would be entitled to inherit. 

If not, then ask if they wish to receive part of what you might be able to recover. If they respond 'yes' then decide who will probate the estate.

@Rick H.   Thanks for the input.  What if the owner is still alive and I don't have further contact info., the next best thing is to skip trace and get the relatives info.

By saying relatives, I really don't know what their relationship is, it is suggested by the skip tracking service that they are "relatives"

What would you recommend for those cases?

Your objective is to reach people and make a deal. 

Who cares what the relationship if they lead you to the principal? Think through how you'd want someone to speak to you if they needed your help to reach a relative. 

It's all about them, not you. Keep that in mind. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you