House or Home- What to Use

6 Replies

Hello All,
Looking for some input on a company/website name. I have done a couple wholesale deals as a "hobby" just helping some friends out of tough situations but have decided to jump into wholesaling full time outside of my 9-5.

Looking at some business branding and website options right now. My question is would you use the word "House" or "Home"?

Example:
www.abcHOMEbuyers. com
or
www.abcHOUSEbuyers. com

The word Home may bring an emotional response due to the idea of "no place like home". The word House may be more nutural.

Another thought, I am simply overthinking this one. If they are truly motivated sellers-which we will be targeting- they will not give a hoot about either.

So, marketing geniuses, what are your thoughts?

Marcus,

I am no marketing genius or even a marketing rookie but I would think that you want to disconnect the seller from thinking of the property as their "home" and just a "house" instead.

Just my .02 and maybe isn't worth that much.  

Marcus I agree with Craig. You don't want the sellers to still consider it their home. If they do they feel attached and then they are less willing to part with it for less than their original number.

One option is to buy both domains and have the home version point to your house website so if you get a brand really running and someone remembers website as home instead of house they'll still land in the right place.

Kimberlee

I have always thought that it is a house when you are trying to buy it, a home when you are trying to sell or lease it.

I always refer to a house with sellers. You need for them to detach from the property. 

Naturally, buyers want to find a home. 

And, as mentioned above, buy both sites and have them point to the same one. You'll want to use both "house" and "home" in your marketing depending upon whom you're targeting.

Good luck!

@Marcus Curtis  Think everyone here is making this a little too hard. Yo Marcus at the end of the day it doesn't matter if your domain name is...

hsabvajsnv.com or dsajnusn.com

What matters the most about a website is the marketing behind it. Once people hit the page you just need content that will convert. I get this question all the time from my clients about which route we should go on domain names and ect..

Most of them spend days thinking about this when I tell them it really does't matter. Strong online website presence is what maters. So Marcus go with what makes you feel good at the end of the day bro..

Check out the blog post here on BP which I talk about all parts of a real estate website.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/author/antoniocoleman/ 

Good Luck

Originally posted by @Antonio Coleman :

@Marcus Curtis  Think everyone here is making this a little too hard. Yo Marcus at the end of the day it doesn't matter if your domain name is...

hsabvajsnv.com or dsajnusn.com

What matters the most about a website is the marketing behind it. Once people hit the page you just need content that will convert. I get this question all the time from my clients about which route we should go on domain names and ect..

Most of them spend days thinking about this when I tell them it really does't matter. Strong online website presence is what maters. So Marcus go with what makes you feel good at the end of the day bro..

Check out the blog post here on BP which I talk about all parts of a real estate website.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/author/ant...

Good Luck

I agree the website and marketing are going to matter a lot more than the domain name.  However I think picking a domain name that matches your marketing is a good idea.

If you are buying(or wholesaling), I think "houses" are going to be what people are looking for, and how you want them to think of it.  If you are selling retail, you want to be dealing with "homes".

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here