Do you avoid marketing to sellers who are already on the MLS?

7 Replies

Hi,

I'm currently going through my list to launch my next marketing campaign and I'm sifting through (which is probably more work than I need to do at the moment) but after checking some of these properties out, some of them are currently listed with a Realtor. But they've been on the market for quite a while.

Do folks bother marketing to these sellers?

I know there might be an off chance they may not be happy with the current Realtor or are looking for a much quicker closing.

But is it worth it? And is it ethically responsible? I'm a real estate agent but not a current Realtor.

Thanks in advance!

@Frantzces Lys , interfering with another licensee's client while they are under contract will probably land you in a serious dispute. You could be fined, barred from joining the MLS or possibly lose your license. No, it is not at all ethical.

Frantzces if the individuals are already working with a Realtor it would not be ethical to solicit their business.  I definitely would not appreciate someone trying to swoop on one of my clients.  As a Realtor you work hard to acquire those clients and if you do become a Realtor or a member of an association they will tell you the same.  There are several potential leads out there you just have to work to get them.  It does seem that you are willing to put in the necessary hours to acquire the leads so don't go burning bridges that you might need at a later date.  

Joel

Both of you are right! I wouldn't want to burn any bridges or do anything ethically irresponsible. 

Thanks guys! @Jeff Rabinowitz  @Joel Jimenez 

Hey Frantzces,

It sounds like you're not looking for listings, you're looking for deals.  So, there is nothing unethical about going after the deals listed by other real estate agents.  The key is that you shouldn't be trying to go around the agents to get the deal -- instead, just work with them.

Just submit your offer directly through the listing agent and let the listing agent work with the seller.  Sure, you have less chance of getting a seller to agree to a low offer if they have an agent, but that shouldn't stop you from submitting offers.  Give them an opportunity to say no.

Thanks! @J Scott 

I didn't think of it that way. At the end of the day it doesn't hurt to try. Also if you keep the agent in the loop and give them a piece of the profit everybody wins! And you're right I'm not listing the property at all.

Originally posted by @Frantzces Lys :

Thanks! @J Scott 

I didn't think of it that way. At the end of the day it doesn't hurt to try. Also if you keep the agent in the loop and give them a piece of the profit everybody wins! And you're right I'm not listing the property at all.

All the agent cares about is that they fulfilling their responsibility to their client and they are getting their commission.  They don't care if the buyer is a homeowner, an investor, another agent or a serial killer -- as long as the deal gets done and they collect their commission.

Always remembering the "bottomline". @J Scott 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.