Using Google Voice

11 Replies

Is it advisable to use a Google Voice number as your primary business phone number for ad responses, rather than your direct cell number?

Robert,

I would recommend it just because you do not want to be getting calls at all hours of the day and night. Especially since some of the people calling you may not be the nicest or most motivated callers. You may also want to think about in investing in a virtual receptionist for after hours. That way you do not lose any leads. Either way I wouldn't use your personal number for ads. Hope this helps!

Rob Laird

Hi Robert, I say YES! Yes, for a few different reasons...

- good way to store and manage the calls. The calls can come to you in text transcription which allows you to read the message when you can't pick up (the transcription is not always accurate, but you can get a good kick out of it).

- it comes to your email box where you can set up a folder and filters so it can go right there.

- the first two things I mentioned also allows you to copy and paste the info into your spreedsheet for follow up.

- I like having a personal number and a business number.

- You can also set it to go straight to voicemail

A lot of good reasons to use Google Voice. Another reason why I did it is it allowed me to get a local phone number to where I invest.

The downside for a Google Voice is that I have not figured out how to have multiple numbers to use for different campaigns. I have purchased Vumbers that do the same thing.

Hope that helps!!

Bob Couture, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9534609)
413-314-3583

I use GV and really like it. I can have it ring to my cell and my home phone. It rings at home with a different ring tone so the family knows not to answer. I also really like the voice mails being emailed to me, even though the transcription is often way off.

It's certainly not a perfect solution, as @James Wise  mentioned, but I have found it to work well for me. And of course, as I'm typing this, I'm getting a prospect call from my Google Voice number. The text transcription and email from a call or voicemail are nice features, as @Bob Couture  mentioned, but to expound upon that, I also REALLY like the ability to text or call prospects from my Google Voice number through the Google Voice app, even though it's my personal iPhone. Stellar feature, in my opinion. Also, Google Takeout allows you to download your data, including call history, to your computer, which is a nice feature for those who like to track EVERYTHING. 

817-308-1116

Thanks for all the great comments.  i hope to return the favor sometime!

Originally posted by @Bob Couture :

The downside for a Google Voice is that I have not figured out how to have multiple numbers to use for different campaigns. I have purchased Vumbers that do the same thing.

Hope that helps!!

You can have up to two GV numbers attached to the same phone with the right settings, though you can only have one number per Google Account. A work around I've used is forwarding different lines to the GV number in order to get all of the other features.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

Google voice has some advantages but it also has some disadvantages.

One of which being the appearance of credibility or lack there of. Some people may be put off by calling you on a google voice number.

I don't know off the top of my head how anyone would know....I have a local number, it rings, then my voice mail....As long as you don't use the idiotic feature of having your caller state their name so that "Google Voice will attempt to connect you" no one needs to know it's GV

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett :
Originally posted by @Bob Couture:

Hope that helps!!

You can have up to two GV numbers attached to the same phone with the right settings, though you can only have one number per Google Account. A work around I've used is forwarding different lines to the GV number in order to get all of the other features.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

Google voice has some advantages but it also has some disadvantages.

One of which being the appearance of credibility or lack there of. Some people may be put off by calling you on a google voice number.

I don't know off the top of my head how anyone would know....I have a local number, it rings, then my voice mail....As long as you don't use the idiotic feature of having your caller state their name so that "Google Voice will attempt to connect you" no one needs to know it's GV

I have called many numbers and heard "Google voice will attempt to connect you"

I assumed this was not something that could be turned off. If it is then of course that would be the route to go.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Yes! You can turn off the annoying "Google Voice will attempt to connect you" message that a new caller hears when dialing your Google Voice number. And I just tested it out to confirm that it works!

Go to the following link: https://www.google.com/voice/#callsettings

Then uncheck the box titled "Ask unknown callers to say their name". And that's it!!!

As someone considering using Google Voice for a business line, reading this thread has been excellent. Thanks for all the folks who replied, as it's what makes BP the best site around! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.