Starting out, please help!

5 Replies

So i am looking to purchase a bunch of marketing materials. but im looking for the biggest BANG for my BUCK! like everyone else. I did the bandit signs, and its alot of labor, little fruit....honestly, my mentors want me to get some bandit signs. I just dont see much point, cuz its cold up here in illinois right now, and they haven't had much luck.....Should I even bother with bandit signs right now?

What do you pros use???

thanks

-Trav

Travis,

I would honestly go with direct mail. It is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to reach motivated sellers. If you are looking for creative marketing solutions on a budget I would check out some of the responses on this forum post:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/1725...

Hope this helps!

Rob

@Travis Avenarius , every market is quite different so the best advice I can think of is to look up effective marketing techniques used in your area here on BP and see what has worked in the past. Beyond that, you will really have to test out different types of marketing techniques and see which gives you the best ROI. I understand you don't want to waste money but it is part of the business to invest and learn what works.

There are three marketing workhorses for the pros:
1) Outdoor - signs / billboards / bus signage etc.
2) Direct Mail - to people with equity in their homes
3) Pay-per-Click (AdWords)

They also build brand awareness with things like door hangers, social media, etc. - excellent things to do for long-term success but not big lead generators in the short-term.

@Travis Avenarius  Using bandit sign are great if you can do them in a different method. What they don't tell you that if you had a website that was optimized locally for your city, and you want able to build an online presence around it you would be able to attract leads a lot more easier. I write about this a lot here on BP...check it out

Here is some of my content here on BP to Help you get going.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/author/ant...

Keep me in touch

What type of leads are you trying to generate?  Motivated sellers, rent-to-own buyers, etc.?

I've had good success with rent-to-own buyers using bandit signs, but not pre-made generic-looking ones.  I wouldn't think those would get very good results for anything.

As with any kind of marketing, you need to stand out as different.  When I did bandit signs, I used neon colored poster board cut in half so the signs were huge and really bright and I hand-wrote a message with a giant marker and attached them to wooden tomato stakes.  Keep the message very brief and make sure the phone number or your website can be read from really far away.

If using this approach, be sure to reinforce the back of the poster board because the wind will blow it around.  I used two small cross boards.  Otherwise it will curl and fold and no one can read it.

For certain lead types and in certain areas it can be really effective.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here