Tax Records

6 Replies

How does one find sellers via Tax records? I was talking to someone about Marketing and they mentioned that sellers can be found by searching the tax records.  I have no idea how one can do this. Can anyone explain?

if sellers are behind on the taxes they are prime candidates to sell the house that is tax deliquent

get started 

good luck

The property tax records will tell you who owns the property and their last known mailing address. This is the first step in finding owner of vacant houses. Often however if there i some type of distress, the owner may have moved and the address listed may not work. 

Also tax records can tell you who is an absentee owner. In other words an owner who does not live at the address and the tax bills are sent to a different address. The theory is these people are more likely to be motivated sellers. 

Lastly as @Mark Brogan said people who are in default on their taxes may be motivated sellers. 

Check here to find public records 

http://www.netronline.com/

Matt, on my county website there is a page for the Tax Assessor. In this part of the website, you can search property records, pay your own property taxes, and see the upcoming tax lien sales. Play around with your county's Tax Assessors page, and you should be able to find it. Hope that helps!

how do you find people that's behind on taxes? I understand how to locate the owners but how do I know if the owner is behind? Where can I get a list of people that are behind on taxes so I can mail them letters @Marlene Michael @Mark Brogan @Ned Carey  

On our tax assessors or commissioner's (I forget which) website, the tax lien sales are listed. This is where I can find everyone in my county who is behind on their property taxes, for how much, and when the tax sale auction will be held. Hope that helps.

@Teal Cross   As @Teal Cross said, contact your local county or city property tax office. You should be able to get a list of properties going into tax sale. Often you can get results from the last tax sale. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.