Returned absentee owner post cards

6 Replies

I listened to the podcast with Erik Stark. He talked about focusing on returned absentee owner post cards. My question is how would I go about finding these people if the address list source or another agency had on them was the wrong address?

Eric,

I have never heard that podcast, but it makes so much sense! The postcards that are returned are going to be people that the general public doesn't have access to because their data provider obviously did not provide that data. When I get postcards returned and it says 'vacant' I will usually look up that address in the county gis system to find the property owner. Then I will send them a hand written letter. However, when I get postcards back that say, 'not a valid address', I do not know what to do other than remove them from my mailing list. In addition to this, I get some that say RTS (return to sender). I have heard some companies still mail those people, however we don't because there is no reason to get more disgruntled phone calls about mailers than we already do. If you can think of a creative way or source to get the 'valid addresses' definitely let me know. Wish you the best of luck!

Rob

Originally posted by @Robert Laird :

Eric,

I have never heard that podcast, but it makes so much sense! The postcards that are returned are going to be people that the general public doesn't have access to because their data provider obviously did not provide that data. When I get postcards returned and it says 'vacant' I will usually look up that address in the county gis system to find the property owner. Then I will send them a hand written letter. However, when I get postcards back that say, 'not a valid address', I do not know what to do other than remove them from my mailing list. In addition to this, I get some that say RTS (return to sender). I have heard some companies still mail those people, however we don't because there is no reason to get more disgruntled phone calls about mailers than we already do. If you can think of a creative way or source to get the 'valid addresses' definitely let me know. Wish you the best of luck!

Rob

Thanks Rob

@Eric Schuettenberg  use a skip trace service to chase them down. You can also search for free online and hope you get some hits.

I have thought about this but the cost to track them down would be very expensive.  I stick to mailing in volume and closing the best, easiest deals.  This way a postcard costs $0.42 to bring in a lead.  To skip trace I have to imagine it's 10 times that if not more.

Originally posted by @John Horner :

I have thought about this but the cost to track them down would be very expensive.  I stick to mailing in volume and closing the best, easiest deals.  This way a postcard costs $0.42 to bring in a lead.  To skip trace I have to imagine it's 10 times that if not more.

Good point John

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here