Setup PO BOX for marketing, what are the rules for addressing our Direct Mail Campaign?

11 Replies

We setup a PO BOX to use with our direct mail campaign.  I was wondering what options we have with addressing our letters using the PO BOX.  I would prefer not to use the PO BOX 123 but I will if we have to.  I heard others talk about using an alternative option by using the post office physical address and suite (po box #).  Is this accurate???  We would prefer this over using the PO BOX 123.

@Ryan Billingsley  , I believe most, but not necessarily all, post offices will offer that street addressing.  When I got my PO box, they gave me paperwork to fill out to request activation of that feature.  Of note, they state you cannot (should not?) use "suite" but just have the street address followed by "#xxx".

So, check with your specific post office.

@Brett Russell   I asked the lady working at the post office about it and she said she just started working there and was on her cell phone talking to someone while trying to help me.  She was not much help.  It is a small satellite location post office that is in a meat market.

@Ryan Billingsley  , hopefully she was able to figure it out.

I believe that service was, at least originally, not available at all locations, but when I look again, I don't see any type of designation that it is available at my post office (it definitely is) so maybe it's available everywhere now.

'Meat market' jokes aside, go to a larger, full-service post office (without sawdust in the floor) and ask to speak to postmaster. 

From a marketing standpoint, I've never had a problem using my p o box as return address, for 25+ years now. That being said, I can appreciate your concern and want everything to work in your favor without an obvious turnoff.

This is a good argument for both testing as well as collecting competitive mail pieces for examination and critique.

@Brett Russell    The girl said she thinks we could use the address and the po box #.  That was all she said. 

@Rick H.    I agree that using a PO BOX address should not make a difference.  I just want to maximize our opportunities.  Some people might be skeptical about a PO BOX address.  But if they are motivated they will respond I would imagine.

@Todd Plambeck    I never thought about considering alternatives.  We have committed to 6 months with a PO BOX.  We shall see how it turns out compared to using my home address.

I went with the UPS store, it's overall a better setup IMO when I compared the two.  I have 24 hour access and can have packages sent their as well so I don't have to worry about being home.  You get to use the street address and can use "suite" xxx or whatever as long as the number for your box is there.

@Lee S.    Thanks for sharing your experience!  We are setup for a 6 month period so I will see how it goes.  If we are not happy with it we can always switch to the UPS option.  I appreciate you letting me know, I really did not know UPS offered that type of service.  I assume Fedex does as well?

Originally posted by @Ryan Billingsley :

@Lee S.   Thanks for sharing your experience!  We are setup for a 6 month period so I will see how it goes.  If we are not happy with it we can always switch to the UPS option.  I appreciate you letting me know, I really did not know UPS offered that type of service.  I assume Fedex does as well?

This service is via the UPS store so I doubt you can do it directly via "fed ex".  There is also a mom and pop mail store in my town that I could also rent a box from.

@Lee S.    I will look into it.  We have a fedex store right by my house.  The UPS store is in another town further away.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.