New investor are flyers worth it

8 Replies

I was curious if anyone has tried putting flyers on mailboxes. Also is this legal and has anyone had any success with this. Thank you

Man I wouldn't do that at all my friend. You can make a lot of people upset and hurt your business reputation before even getting off the ground. Just create you an awesome educational real estate website that include all information.

Then you should just do online and offline marketing to drive people to the website who are searching online. This is the best route to go that is 100% safe. 

Thanks

Antonio

If you are affixing the proper postage and sending them via US Mail, then they 'may' be worth it.

If you are merely planning on stuffing some papers into people's mailboxes, then no, definitely not worth it.  Also a federal offense, if I am not mistaken.

Don't be cheap about mailing man. If anything, put door hangers/flyers on the properties. Don't do the "mailbox stickers" lol

It is a federal offense to attach anything or put anything into a mailbox without proper postage. 

Having flyers, door hangers or post-it notes delivered and placed on the front door can be VERY effective, but is considered geographic marketing.  

You can target good geographic areas that match your business model and have some great success with it.  Most often people will use this option in median to slightly lower value areas where there may be a good amount of homes that you would be interested in wholesaling to a rehabber. 

If you're interested in doing more targeted marketing, to specific groups, such as divorces, probate, expired listings, free & clear houses, etc. then I would recommend a good, cheap postcard being mailed through usps.com.  

The postcard would have to have a compelling headline and you would want to hit the same list 4+ times in order for it to be most effective.  Depending on the list, I would recommend probably quarterly or even monthly for some of the lists.  Depends on the business model you're intending to work.

I work part time for USPS - yes, illegal.. federal offense. 

mailing postcards, etc though, to targeted areas seems to work well sometimes.

bump

Has anyone ever actually gotten in trouble for putting fliers in or on a mailbox? I was walking around a neighborhood I just did a deal in looking for other houses, talking to residents, etc. I had printed some fliers with a rubber band through a hole to put on doorknobs. I put a few on mailbox flags at first without even thinking about it. People do it to my house I live in all the time and I never thought about the legal aspect. 

Then I come home and search for flyers to see what other people do and this is the first thread I see hah

edit

also, are there any articles about what makes a good door hanger/flyer? I made mine and as soon as I put them out I realized I should have written something indicating if they knew someone who wanted to sell I pay referral fees.

i read on another board where the postal station called the number on the flyer chewing them out.  They let em off the first tie with a warning.  Just not worth the risk, Place the flyers on doors fences or even inside a bag with a rock. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.