Website Address

8 Replies

Any recommendations on what type of URL to use for website?  Does something like 
"sell home fast "city"" work for example?  Wondering what others are using and what is effective.  Thanks.

Its all about marketing and SEO to get the traffic there bro. Making it something easy to remember or catchy would be a good idea but tons of domains are taken already. I would just figure out something you like, implement it into your marketing, get your name out there, then invest your profits into SEO. Just my two cents...

@Lee S.  

I just saw a post very similar to this one a couple days ago.  Same question and a lot of responses of business name instead of the we buy houses route.  I was in the same boat as you recently and decided to go with a name that I thought people could remember and I liked.  One of the main reasons I didn't go with a city specific name was because I may want to expand in the future and move to a different market or add on.  Obviously you could just start another but I would like to play off of all my marketing and SEO work already instead of starting over.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about getting started, just went through it all myself.  As for effectiveness, I'll let you know next year when I have more data.

@Lee S.  Keep it simple and easy to remember for someone who is listen to your radio advertisement. The best route to go is to name it whatever your business name is which is strictly for banding.

Thanks guys, i'll read through that other thread and see if it helps also.  My thought was also that I could use one website but multiple URL's to point to it so that using a city name would be ok.  Addresses are cheap, I do this with another business I have.

@Lee S.  Be careful sending more than (3) 301s to a website.  It can flag your site for a manual review by Google.

You're better off building out a service areas page with the local city or suburb.  Much easier and each page will build strength over time and you can then inter link the service area page to the homepage.

@Lee S.  I was one of the people pushing for a backlinks over keywords, but I do not think you should buy multiple domains and point to one unless you plan to market each of those domains as individual brands.  In fact, I would avoid anything that feels black hat, not because it is unethical, but rather because Google will eventually get you.*  The best SEO is providing true value like Webopedia did, causing me to backlink them in the last sentence.

As far as ideal domain names, I personally think phrase domains make a brand appear unprofessional compared to names such as lastnamehomes.com or abcinvestments.com.  Opendoor.com is arguably one of the most successful investment web sites for generating seller interest to sell, and the name doesn't make me think of anything in particular.  Zillow is the most popular web destination for sellers, and it's a made up name.  

*Google is very serious about creating artificial intelligence.  A prudent SEO strategy would assume they will eventually know "everything" you're doing.   

I think @Jerred Morris  is spot on with his suggestion for a local directory.  Other valuable things to a seller include information on average days on market by area (you could put your time to close next to it) and recommended professionals (such as lawyers, escrow companies, etc.).  The more specific your resources are the better, since people will often research with more specific phrases when the first search was too cluttered with crap.  When your content becomes valuable enough you may be able to position yourself as an expert to local media outlets, which could ultimately lead to super backlinks.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.