compiling a absentee owner list

11 Replies

hey bp

Im slowly compiling my marketing list to absentee owners. I decided I would do it by using my county tax assessors office (Harris) here in Houston Tx.  Well in the last half hour I found only five AO online, so far its time consuming. What other way can I obtain a list faster besides melissadata or listsource. I heard of title companies might be generous enough to give out a AO list. Any ideas?

Thanks David

Originally posted by @David Daniels :

hey bp

Im slowly compiling my marketing list to absentee owners. I decided I would do it by using my county tax assessors office (Harris) here in Houston Tx.  Well in the last half hour I found only five AO online, so far its time consuming. What other way can I obtain a list faster besides melissadata or listsource. I heard of title companies might be generous enough to give out a AO list. Any ideas?

Thanks David

If you can get the data sets of your county records, then you can use your computer to build your own. It helps if you have a programming background. Or you can outsource to a contract programmer. I can get some county records where I am, but not sure that works in Texas because of privacy laws.

@Chris Martin  

Thanks Chris, I'll be sure to look into that

@Jerry Puckett  

Hey Jerry I have nothing against Melissa data or list source, I have heard good things about them. So I look forward in using them in the future. As of right now Im looking for cheaper and effective ways in searching for absentee owners. I don't have to much to budget with marketing, and don't want to wait until my job to pick up for work. So you see im kind of on a stand still if i was to wait. but I thought I would try and get ahead start and  obtain a list before I use list source.

Another thing jerry what do you mean about Houston hasn't upgraded to realist?

Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett  :.Houston hasn't upgraded to Realist yet. (Like most other cities in metrotex)

Jerry are you referring to Realist from CoreLogic formerly First American? What would you call services like that. People here ask these kinds of questions and I don't know what these things are called

@David Daniels   there are a number of data services that compile records from the public records. Realist is one of them. Others are Haines criss cross, and Data Quick. There are many others. You subscribe to them and can do various searches to build mailing lists, or research markets and specific properties.

@David Daniels  One of the biggest issues most investors face is getting the leads. So what they do is turn to series where they are able to buy a list. Truth be told is that buying is list is not always the best move to go if you really want a targeted fresh list.

You will need to capture your own leads from people who are ready to do business. You will need to get your educational website out there online in front of the world. When people are search for example....

"need to sell my house in Houston TX" or "how to sell my house fast in Houston" 

You best have a website that can be found and ready for service. This is the best route to go, and yes its time consuming but the reward is a whole lot greater at the end. 

@Antonio Coleman  

Hey Antonio are you referring to SEO and landing pages? I do have some experience in internet marketing. I was going to have that as another one of my marketing strategy after I had a couple deals under my belt and I got more educated on Real estate. But it makes sense to start now.

@Ned Carey  

Ok now it sounds familiar, I will check it out thanks Ned.

@David Daniels  Good job bro, if you know how to do SEO then you'er already ahead of the curve. One word of advice is to never use landing pages. When growing a business you must come out the gate being professional. Landing pages are not for professional websites. 

Don't believe me, then do a Google search for any of the top brands in the country just as Wal-Mart, Best Buy and ect.. You will notice they don't use landing pages to grow their business. They allow the website to do the educational parts, and if someone wants to opt-in then there is always a form or something on that page or on another. 

Just something to think about. 

@David Daniels  , @Ned Carey  ,

From their website:

"Realist® from CoreLogic® is a public-record database that seamlessly integrates with any web-based multiple listing service (MLS) system to provide in-depth property and ownership data, market information, street and aerial maps, as well as market trends to its users" - www.corelogic.com/products/realist

I have MLS access in quite a few cities around the Country, and the trend is to use Realist on the back end as the "tax" database. Some cities like Houston have not moved to using this system yet. What they do have is access to a title company's database. In Houston, it's Stewart Title.

The down side is that the data is not as searchable, accessible or downloadable. Realist is very user friendly and can be filtered 6 ways to Sunday to create very targeted lists.

@Jerry Puckett

Hey jerry I did call stewart title for tax data, they told me they cannot release any kind of information to a third party....which confuse me a little...they didn't know what a absentee owner list...But I called another company and they said they could help with a AO list, still waiting for a email

AgentPro247.com

Only $18-20/month. Find the code for $18 instead of $20

Can be outdated at times, but criteria can be filtered many ways so can be good too.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.