Jumpstarting the Market in a Deserving Community

10 Replies

I recently met with members of the City Council, a small community with huge potential. Over the last year they have made significant changes in their council members, City Manager, Business Promoter, etc. They are a small community with so much potential. This town lead right to one of the largest lakes and most desirable houseboating/boating/vacation spots in the country.

They have put together a team to help improve their economic improvement plan and are working on incentives to bring business and industry to the area (incentives are necessary in California!) There is prime property for recreation, industry (I-5 corridor, great land) and vacation homes, lodges, resorts, etc. They finally have the right people in place to make a solid jump and change the future of their community...and they even have some great companies on the verge of moving to the area. They need money to improve schools, etc. That being said, they do have some a beautiful, higher end subdivision getting started in the outskirts.

My question to you...what do you feel is the best way to market to developers that would be interested in bringing recreation and vacation rentals to the area? The potential here is so good! You could have a resort or vacation homes, coffee shop, etc in an area within a mile to the lake.

@Anje Walfoort Put some awesome epic-wow content on your website explaining what you'er looking for. Then present the site to the developers. They will see that you're really serious about doing business if your website is well put together. 

Build it and they will come............ Developers want to see a market, which there isn't one today. The city will need to create an incentive package for developer to come in and take a risk on the area. Ideas for the city:

• Create a marketing campaign to draw visitors. Sell itself. Yes, cities do this just like any business trying to sell itself. 
  • Give developers tax incentives if they develop ie tax credits, discounted real estate taxes, low building fees/permit fees. 

Hi Anje,

I'm a developer and i'm intrigued.  What community is this?

Jason

@Jason Mak  I was just reading some of the  posts under my keywords and this one came up. The City that @Anje Walfoort is referencing is Redding, CA. It's in Shasta County. 

<<< The 3 Shastas

There is a great rental market there, as it was very hard hit when the market crashed, as the entire economy was rooted in construction. Many lost homes, but stayed in the area due to the many great things around. 

I personally grew up in Redding, and I'm very familiar with it. Anje is my daughter. 

Aside from the areas many great natural resources, Anje is correct in that it is a GREAT location for vacation rental properties. Working from the core of town - first off the beautiful Sacramento River flows through the town, then there is Sundial Bridge and Turtle Bay Museum. 15 minutes from that there (west) is Old Shasta State Historical Park, (northwest) is Shasta Dam, and Lake Shasta (it has over 365 miles of shoreline) 30 minutes north of Redding is Shasta Caverns which offers tours and is also on the lake. Head east for 30 minutes to Burney Falls. And final stop on the outings are north 45 minutes to Mt. Shasta for mountain biking in summer, and snowboarding and skiing in winters. To the east is Mt. Lassen for hiking, and cross country skiing in winter. PLUS there's plenty of great fishing on the many rivers and streams. BOTH Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen are ACTIVE volcanoes. 

This concludes my promotion of my hometown. It's obvious I miss the area, and it will always be "home " to me! 

<<Burney

,> >>Sundial   

<<Caverns

>>Sac River    

Medium house plansKaren Margrave, Parlay Investments | [email protected] | http://www.parlayinvestments.com | CA Contractor # 680782

@Karen Margrave r

Thanks for the post Karen!  Wish I had received this note earlier as I was just in Sacremento touring properties for a 1031 exchange.  Will certainly put some thought into Redding!

Love the promotion!!

@Karen Margrave

I am curious what that picture of Shasta Dam looks like today with the Drought :(.  I had many a fun summer up at Shasta while in school at Chico State (Friends family had a houseboat on the lake up there), good times.

@Chris Vail  Shasta Dam definitely looks different today for sure. However; even with the lake down to very low levels, there's still a lot of water left in the lake, and probably much more than most lakes in the country. However; as to what it looks like, it's not as pretty as it could be. 

Medium house plansKaren Margrave, Parlay Investments | [email protected] | http://www.parlayinvestments.com | CA Contractor # 680782

@Anje Walfoort

I think the city fees are some of the biggest hurtles for developers. Give them an opportunity to make a profit and they will come. I hope the new council can address some of these issues. 

Yes, you can advertise with the help of latest technologies. If people are interested then they definitely show their activity in that field.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you