Listing your own house on MLS as way of lead generation?

3 Replies

Say you own your own home, and looking to get started investing. If you are licensed, or I suppose working closely with an agent, could this be a good way of generating leads?

Updated almost 3 years ago

*ouch* dumb question?

Leads for what purpose exactly?

Agents typically expect to get at least one buyer from each listing, so it is a good question. If you don't plan on selling even though you put your house on the MLS, it's not cool. At the least, the other agents will not call about your home and steer prospective buyers away. Could even be a violation of MLS rules.

Originally posted by @JOAN DICKIE :

If you don't plan on selling even though you put your house on the MLS, it's not cool.

Everything has a price!

Leads for buyers? Owner finance buyer leads? I assume plenty of unrepresented buyers end up calling listing agents these days?

You are right!  It seems that buyers are shy to commit nowadays.  If you are looking for owner finance leads, Craigslist will be an awesome place to advertise.  I think more people on there are looking for that situation.  

Be aware though, that if you put your home on the MLS, either you as an agent, or your agent friend, need to make sure the listing is branded on Tulia or Zillow, or the lead will go to the agent who paid to get the lead from the get more info box next to your houses ad. (Leads aren't automatically sent to the agent, you must pay them big bucks).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you