Subject to's

4 Replies

Hello. Just came from a really good meeting that discussed subject to's. I am very interested in this method of investing. One question, what are the best ways to aggressively market to find homes in order to use this process effectively?

Craig, I've done few myself but I don't specifically target that market. If the opportunity presents itself I certainly mention it to see if the seller will agree. I guess one group to market is to the Notice of Default list for a certain mortgage amount. Another method I really like is the seller financing. For that you can market to free and clear absentees. 

I've read @Dion DePaoli eloquent discussion on the Due on Sale Clause (DOS) and the subject to existing financing (sub2)

It's my opinion so too has its place in the toolbox for roasting busters to be able to get title and then quickly resell 

Wraps too.

It is not a good idea to buy on Sub2 and wrap as an exit strategy

And it's also not a good idea not to have financial means to refinance the property with your own financial ability or to pay off the note with cash

Lets say you bought a sub to, got the deed and then did a lease to own arrangement with a new buyer.  I would anticipate that lender, if threatening to call the loan, agreeing to allowing that new buyer to get a mortgage and pay off their existing financing in a short period of time, but not a long time.

Thanks for the input Brian and Blair. I am really looking for more effective ways to market to potential sellers in order to do SUB2's. I am aware of the risks involved. What I have read and heard from people that do this day in and day out is that the banks last resort is to call the note due. I am however interested in learning more about what Laches are now from reading Blair's post. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.