Please help my direct mail!

11 Replies

Ok folks, so I have been mailing a postcard to just over 1900 addresses.  I have mailed 3 times so far with about 5 weeks in between each mailing.  The list I am using is from list source.  I am targeting absentee owners with some other factors to narrow down my list.  After reading a post by Michael Quarles, I applied what he said to use to narrow down my list.  

For the first 2 mailings, I was getting calls from people to remove me from my list.  2 weeks after my third mailing, I have received ZERO calls. I have already purchased enough cards to do 6 full mailings.  I know everyone says to stick it out for at least that, and that the "magic" happens in the 4th, 5th, 6th mailings.  I bought enough at the beginning because it was a better price to buy more and to commit myself to mailing at least 6 touches.

I get a lot of returned cards that say "attempted not known", "Not deliverable as addressed", "insufficient address", and "vacant".  I am saving all the returned ones, because in my mind vacant is a good thing.  However, if I was mailing to absentee owners, why would their house be vacant!  Shouldn't the owner be living there?!  in any case I want to follow up with the vacant ones for sure.  How do I do that?  Where should I start?  If the address I originally obtained for the absentee owner is now vacant, how do I find them?  

What would you do? Thank you!!

@Michael Quarles

as in the same postcard?  Yes i did.  :(  What should I do from here on out?  I have about half of the original postcards with no addresses printed on them yet.  I can shift gears and maybe go with a different piece if that will help.

Originally posted by @Michael Quarles :

You need to mix things up a lot... Cluster marketing is king... Did you create your own Postcard?

I used a template from the postcard company, but put my own words on it based off what I've read other people use. 

When you say to mix things up, how would I do that? What do you suggest to newbie DM investors? 

@Mark Redmann What your'er doing is an ok way of marketing, but you have one issue. The big issue is that none of those people asked you to mail them. Think about this...is it better to go after people who are ready to sell versus those who are not?

Obviously we all want to go after the people who are ready to sell, so why go chasing the ghost who mostly don't want to be caught. 

What I mean is that instead of hunting your prey, allow yourself to be the prey, and those home owners become the predators. This is the way to run any sort of business is to allow the targeted people to search you out from your website, videos, profiles and social media. 

Direct mail is awesome, but it take time and money which a lot of investors are not willing to waste. 

@Mark Redmann

When we started marketing we did the same thing and had the same result. We switched to hand written yellow letters and we are very happy with our response rate. This type of marketing seems to work a lot better in our market, not saying it will be the same in yours? Another thing we started doing is looking at all the subject properties on google street view, just to get a rough idea of what the property and neighbors looks like. We are looking for busted houses in great areas and those go on a top priority list. The great looking houses we switch our marketing geared towards seller finance. We don't send out as much as we did in the beginning, but our marketing is more focused now. 

Best of luck!  

@Antonio Coleman

I totally agree with you. how do I get my website out in front of more people without spending any money? SEO is awfully expensive at this stage of my REI career. What do you recommend for website, profiles, videos, and social media? Thanks for your reply! The ghosts I am chasing don't want to be caught, YET!

@Joseph Caracappa

Thanks for the tip.  After reading what @Michael Quarles said above, I have been thinking I need to change it up.  I didn't realize that I would need to change things up like that.  I guess I didn't do enough research.  On my budget, I could really only do postcards.  yellow letters were more. I wish now that I had done things different from the beginning.  but alas, Im sleeping in the bed I made.  I think I will target the returned postcards I have received with a yellow letter. I was just tossing around the idea of getting a smaller, more targeted and manageable list and trying out the cluster marketing that Michael suggests

@Mark Redmann Seo is not as expensive as you think. For example, how much do you spend on direct mail? I spend anywhere from $500 to $1500 per month on that alone. As @Antonio Coleman mentioned, you are still chasing them, even when they call you, you are the one that reached out to them first.

The leads that come in from your online campaigns are like sitting ducks. And you can have a major part of the work handled for you from $200 - $500 per month depending on what you're focused on. When the leads start to come in from that site, you start to wonder why it took you so long to get started. Remember, every investor or wholesaler or realtor is sending out direct mail to these people. With online, the motivated seller comes looking for you. It's a compleatly different conversation/negotiation.

Originally posted by @Lucas P. :
Mark Redmann Seo is not as expensive as you think. For example, how much do you spend on direct mail? I spend anywhere from $500 to $1500 per month on that alone. As @Antonio Coleman mentioned, you are still chasing them, even when they call you, you are the one that reached out to them first.

The leads that come in from your online campaigns are like sitting ducks. And you can have a major part of the work handled for you from $200 - $500 per month depending on what you're focused on. When the leads start to come in from that site, you start to wonder why it took you so long to get started. Remember, every investor or wholesaler or realtor is sending out direct mail to these people. With online, the motivated seller comes looking for you. It's a compleatly different conversation/negotiation.

I definitely agree. When I need to know/find/ANYTHING something, then I google it.  I was doing some SEO for a few months.  I was doing it while I was just getting started with my DM campaign.  I had to drop the SEO for now since I didn't budget properly.  I can afford one or the other.  not both.  I did think about every other investor mailing out things.  My parents even get the postcards from people!  They are absentee owners. 

Are there things I can do myself along the lines of SEO that don't cost anything?  I have my website up and running (in my sig, please check it out and message me with ANY AND ALL feedback!!), I place business cards in the local food stores in the "up and coming" areas.  I was thinking of making flyers on paper with those little pull tabs with my info and posting them in businesses that would allow me to.  

@Mark Redmann The best thing to do if you don't have any money is to read, read and some more. Learning from others is the best route to go if you do't have nay money. Read seo guides and more to get that knowledge you need to compete. 

Sounds like you're doing alright and on the right track. Keep it up. It's longevity that will pay off using all those 1%ers.

Regards to SEO, keep your onsite SEO spotless and post a blog post one a week. That's the least you can do at little cost, time or effort.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you