What do you do with the returned postcards?

3 Replies

I have a few returned postcards from my direct mail campaign in Philadelphia.  They were returned saying the address I mailed to is vacant.  I was mailing to absentee owners (I'm not mailing to the house they own, but rather their primary residence)

What do you guys do with those? I have gone through some of them on the philly property owner/tax records website and found that they owe thousands in back taxes. What would be your next move on these? To clarify, I was looking up the address on the postcard (absentee owner primary residence), NOT the subject property address. The primary residence addresses are the ones that showed the back taxes.  What should my next correspondence be, since they never even received the postcard in the first place and do not know I exist? a simple note saying i want to buy your house?  what about a letter saying how I can help them, and explicitly saying what they will get out of doing business with me?

I saved all them thinking I should be able to convert these into a lead somehow.  Thanks!

These are called "nixies" in direct response marketing.

I've done well by setting these pieces to the side and then skip tracing the ones that appeal the most to me, such as high equity, deceased owner, no probate case filed, good area. 

Thus is also called 'mining your data' and I'll work on these in batches when the phones get quiet or the Dealflow pipeline is thin.

Originally posted by @Rick H. :

These are called "nixies" in direct response marketing.

I've done well by setting these pieces to the side and then skip tracing the ones that appeal the most to me, such as high equity, deceased owner, no probate case filed, good area. 

Thus is also called 'mining your data' and I'll work on these in batches when the phones get quiet or the Dealflow pipeline is thin.

Thanks Rick. Since the phone hasn't rang at all after my 3rd mailing, I will be mining my data. This is my first DM campaign and its getting me bummed out with the lack of response.  the only calls I received was to remove them from my list.

Any good skip tracers that you know of and use?  I've never used these types of services before. 

How do I single out the ones that appeal the most to me?  I mean, how do I know the equity in the house? And the no probate case filed?  I apologize if these are beginner questions, but that's because I am one!

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here