What if Real Estate Isn't Mentioned in the Probate File?

5 Replies

While researching probate case files, I come across the following scenario quite often:

- There's no Estate Inventory sheet in the file

- The Decedent (the deceased) has a property registered in their name, which is the same address that shows up when I look them up in the phone book.

So does this mean that the case just hasn't gotten to the point where the inventory has taken place yet? 

I even came across a situation today where the inventory sheet had "n/a" in the real estate assets section, but I knew for sure that the Decedent passed-away in a property that is in their name with the county, which confused me.  

I'm still learning the probate process, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

So, in summary, my question is should I still mail the Executor/PR about the property that I know is in the Decedent's name at the county, even if there is no mention of it in the probate file?

Frankly, I don't know the answer, however that never stopped me from having an opinion.

I suggest calling a few PR's and just ask them what is going on. Hard to say about your state's forms or the process.  Check some older case files and determine if a lack of inclusion of real estate info is typical or if files commonly get amended later.

When I want to learn something new, I envision writing a book with chapters and research the heck out of it thoroughly. 

Originally posted by @Rick H. :

Frankly, I don't know the answer, however that never stopped me from having an opinion.

I suggest calling a few PR's and just ask them what is going on. Hard to say about your state's forms or the process.  Check some older case files and determine if a lack of inclusion of real estate info is typical or if files commonly get amended later.

When I want to learn something new, I envision writing a book with chapters and research the heck out of it thoroughly. 

Thanks Rick.  Yeah, I'm just going to continue mailing all of the leads I gather, and then use the info I get from calling them to get a better grasp of what's going on with these situations.  

When you say that you "envision writing a book with chapters and research the heck out of it thoroughly," are you saying you research a thoroughly as if you were going to write a book based on the info you learn by researching?  

Yep. Just like you are going to have to teach it to someone else (because someday you nay want to!).

As I review the filing dates and the status of the cases that I create this thread about, I notice that most of them were still in "open" status, and were filed within the last month.

I think that means that the inventories come later on in the case, which is likely why I didn't see estate inventories in the files.

I believe that I either need to hold-off on mailing the PR's 'till I see an inventory that states that it contains real estate, or just go ahead and mail them now and call them until I can find out whether or not there's actually real estate in the estate that's available.

The benefit of mailing them now, is that I might be able to get a jump on being the first person that contacts them about the property, so that could be a good thing, even if I have to waste some postage sending stuff to PR's that won't even have properties in the estates they're in-charge of.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here