What's your process for tracking down property owners for "returned or undeliverable mail"

3 Replies

My  last 2 direct mail campaigns are puking UP undeliverable mail, so much so, that I am now forced to start investigating how to track down the owners and see whats going on? Any ideas on handling these...

Tracking property owners that have moved or have no address on record is tough. Usually the tax assessor has the address. As a member of MLS I use Realist. There's also services like Real Property Resource, Parcelquest, etc.

Sometimes when I can't find an address, I use Spokeo to track down the most current address, and sometimes it has a phone number and email address. 

Once I tracked down a lady, was able to call where she lived. She was elderly and unable to talk on the phone. The nurse that answered didn't know how to contact anyone in her family, and said that she gets paid by mail, but doesn't know anyones name! I even tried calling her doctors, but because of privacy, got nowhere. Crazy! I still haven't been able to track down anything. 

If you are looking for a free service, I usually have the best luck using http://www.zabasearch.com/ when the tax assessor's site does not have any different information.

With Zabasearch you can search by state. Having a middle initial always helps narrow things down as well.

What was the source for the mailing lists you used that had so many outdated addresses?

Originally posted by @Jeff Baillis :

If you are looking for a free service, I usually have the best luck using http://www.zabasearch.com/ when the tax assessor's site does not have any different information.

With Zabasearch you can search by state. Having a middle initial always helps narrow things down as well.

What was the source for the mailing lists you used that had so many outdated addresses?

Thanks for that site, gotta check them out! 

I actually created this list from a content aggregator for real estate transactions. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here