Investing in El Centro Calif

4 Replies

Hello,

I am new to BiggerPockets and investing in general.  This is my first post.   I have sent approx 800 yellow letters in San Diego targeting homes with at least 50% equity.  Not much response as yet. But I will Keep trying.  I was considering targeting the same but in El Centro CA.  Does anybody have an opinion or any experience in this area east of San Diego?

Matt Agozino

Haha.  When we were growing up we called it the Center of *el.  It is mostly a farming community.  Not much going on there.

Some of the desert communities outside of LA seem to do fairly well because of the urban sprawl.  San Diego is a long ways from spreading to El Centro.

Hi Steve,

I know what you mean.  I looked at a mailing list generated for 2 of the zip codes there and was surprised how many homes are owned outright or have been owned by the same person for many years.   A few positives is that there is a prison there that employs alot of corrections people, and border patrol has a strong presence there.  My thought was these folks get transferred need a place to buy or rent while they are there until getting transferred to cooler climates.  I dont need to make a kiliing there, just one deal.

Hi Matthew,

My family comes from the Imperial Valley (the county in which El Centro is located) so I may have a bit of insight. There most definitely is a large amount of owners who own outright. However, that is a great opportunity in the long run. Why? Mainly because the reality of what @Steve Olafson said, it's like living in *ell. The children of those homeowners most likely live somewhere other than the small town in which they grew up. So when those owners pass, move to a rest home/kids...etc. The people who inherit the property (which is in the town they strove their whole life to leave) are eager to sell. I know this from personal experience with my grand parents and parents. 

Additionally, that area is growing, albeit slowly. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you